6 weeks post op from sleeve revised to RNY.... can water and protein intake make you...

rows4u
on 4/25/13 1:43 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

So I'm 7 weeks post op as of Monday and I've lost 31 pounds. I lost 25 of them in the first 3 weeks.... I'm absolutely going crazy on trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong to not be able to loose but 6 pounds these last 3 weeks. On top of that the last 3 weeks is when I started working out as well. I hired a trainer and have been with him for 2 weeks at 2 sessions a week. I thought for sure I would be seeing the scale move a lot more than it is.

On top of that, I think that I'm eating more than I should be able too. I have about half a cup of fruit for breakfast, 3 slices of lunch meat with an avocado for lunch, protein snacks (bars, etc) in between meals and 3 oz of meat and maybe 3 spoons of veggies.... is this too much for only being 7 -6 weeks out??

Andddddd I'm wondering if maybe because I NEVER hit my water intake or protein intake, might be the reason or contributing to the stall or slow weight loss?!?!?!?!?! I drink about 480z of water a day and maybe get 25g of protein in a day.... Little worried that I'm going to fail again!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsLitch
on 4/25/13 3:57 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

You're not doing anything wrong. Search 2 week or 3 week or 5 week or 3 month or 5 month stall and look at all the posts you'll find!

Your body needs to catch up first off. Secondly you've added in exercise that builds muscle, a pound of muscle takes up a lot less space then a pound of fat. And you may not be getting in enough calories to support your workouts, causing your body to plateau for a minute while it figures out you aren't starving.

Weight loss is not a steady decline if you put it on a graph it has plateaus and drops for most people.

Now as for your food... You state that you don't hit your protein intake but you say you are eating fruits and veggies at 6-7 weeks out. Protein first! I wasn't allowed veggies til 3 mo and fruit until 4 mo. Your plan may be different but you still need to eat protein first. Then if there is room add veggies, I'd skip fruit for a bit, but that's just my personal opinion.

You need to be aiming for 60 oz of protein, after you get that in add in your other stuff! You also need to get your water in especially on days you are working out!

Is that the cause of your slow weight loss? I dunno, could be I'm sure. But more importantly you need the protein for your body to heal, to not lose as much hair ( you'll probably lose some just from the surgery but will lose more with not enough protein), and your body needs protein for your work outs.

I couldn't eat 3 oz of meat and veggies at that stage, what does your plan say you should eat at each meal? My plan at that stage said 2-2.5 oz of protein at a meal. Remember your nerves were cut and you may not get the feel of full or hunger yet. Measure your food and eat what your plan calls for.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

MrsLitch
on 4/25/13 4:03 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Also I hope you are waiting at least 30 min. after your food to drink.

You may not get a third chance, work the program!

If you find yourself falling into old patterns seek therapy to find out why. I went to a therapist who works with eating disorders for the first 3 mo after my surgery, I wouldn't have been successful without that therapy and figuring out the mental aspect. They operate on our guts not our heads!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

MsBatt
on 4/25/13 10:40 pm

Cut out the fruit! Fruit is full of sugar, and you shouldn't be eating ANYTHING ELSE until you can reliably consume at least 60 grams of protein (and 64 ounces of water!) each and every day. Also, check the carb content of those protein bars---some of them have a ridiculous number.

rows4u
on 4/25/13 11:20 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it! You're right I won't get a third chance and need to make sure I'm following through correctly! 

Ceci820
on 5/1/13 6:30 am - TX
VSG on 03/04/13

Limit your fruit to only 1/2 cup per day. (fruit converts to sugar) and cut out the protein bars - to much sugar.  I went for my 1 month follow up and was very discouraged because of the weight loss.  I had lost more weight in the shorter amount of time during my pre-op than I had on my post op so we went over everything I ate and my problem was all the sugar and not enough protein.  I am still struggling with the pound loss but boy the inches are sure coming off.  I have gone from a size 20 to a size 16. My surgery was on March 4th.

Chilipepper
on 5/1/13 8:14 am

You won't lose if you don't get the protein and water in...the body goes into starvation mode and wont release anything.  Since this is a revision..did they give you the RNY meal plan?  Did you speak to a nutritionist?   

You must eat your protein and drink the water. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active