Rocky Road...not the ice cream!

Wannabhealthy barbie
on 5/4/13 7:22 am

I have a hard time staying on track. I slip and fall off the workout wagon so easily just because I don't feel like it is really doing anything. I look at the people in the fitness magazines and just wish that I has the commitment to my body and health that they do. Fact is I am stalled...I should be eating more protein and more often and I should be putting more quality time in the gym. I have an awesome trainer and she pushes me just enough but JEEZ I dread going because I am so tired!! I think my vitamins/minerals may be low contributing to my tiredness. I think what really got me down about things was hearing someone say that it's not the 1 hour in the gym that makes you fit and healthy it's what you do the other 23 hours....yikes!! That means so many different things after surgery(even before really). It means follow the cardinal rules of bariatric surgery like you life depends on it..because it does...so why is it so hard???

phred
on 5/4/13 8:11 am - CO

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/13 9:22 am - TX

You can do this!!!! Sometimes it is so hard when you are tired to continue to push through and stay on the right track but I know you can do it! Another option is to try an energy booster. I know that I used to NEVER exercise because, like you said, I was just so tired. I started looking for something to help with my lack of energy, but I am picky and wanted something all natural and something that didn't give me those dang jitters and shakes. Luckily I did find something that matched all me requirements exactly and it has helped me SOOOO much!!! So maybe you can think about an energy booster to help get you motivated to get to the gym and get your workout in! :)

Hislady
on 5/4/13 11:03 am - Vancouver, WA

You should probably get some labs done to see what your levels are and then adjust your vitamins accordingly, it can make a big difference. You are also about the point when the body starts figuring out how to absorb some calories again so You may have to work even harder at the gym and be more diligent with your food, especially your protein intake. Start with the labs so you know where you stand there. Good luck and remember nothing worth having is easy!

Mary Catherine
on 5/4/13 12:33 pm

If your profile is correct and you are still carrying around an extra twenty pounds, that is going to make you tired too.  It may be time to cut back on the gym and concentrate on weight loss again.  You are approaching four years from your surgery date and sometimes your body needs a change.  Instead of going to the gym I walk in the park, around the mall, and also walk in the swimming pool.  Thirty minutes walking in the pool is a great workout because of the resistance from the water.  One lady at our club lost 100 pounds in a year and that was the only exercise she did.  No surgery either.

It is entirely possible to be fit and trim without ever walking into a gym or ever working with a personal trainer.  That is just one method, but not the only method.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/4/13 12:41 pm - Burleson, TX

It's "hard" because it is worth the effort...One of my IRL support group peeps favorite saying is "I can do hard things"...I love that...I agree with the other responses you have recieved. It may very well be time to "shake up" your routine, and shock your body into some changes.

Did you get the "invite" to the new regain online group? I sent them last night, having finally gotten the tech kinks worked out. The invite should be in your OH inbox. Please let me know if you did NOT recieve it.

Oh..and btw..you DO know those peeps in those magazines are airbrushed...right ??

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

MrsLitch
on 5/4/13 4:18 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

First thing you need to do is go get your labs done and if there is an issue fix it. Not taking enough vitamins can be very dangerous, trust me I met a person 5 yrs out from RNY at the nursing home just before my surgery. She stopped taking her vitamins about a year out. She was so sick that her son had to call the ambulance to take her to the hospital, she almost died and ended up in the nursing home and was only in her early 50s that scared me enough to make the promise to myself that not only would I take my vitamins but I would get the blood work required to monitor them, No if ands or buts about it.

Secondly,Have you gone to a therapist? I found that going the first 3 mo. after surgery was the best thing I could do for myself. He taught me to ask myself the questions I need to find the answers to. Am I really hungry? bored? sad? , Why do I tend to self sabotage?, Am I scared of success?, Why would I have life/body altering surgery if I was just going to do the same thing? I did a lot of soul searching in those weekly one hour sessions, They personally did me more good then one hour in the gym could have done. For you maybe they can find out why you aren't eating more protein that you know you should or why you aren't going to the gym like you feel you should, or whatever else is going on. They might also help you answer that last question "why is it so hard???" for you.

Also, It is possible to lose the weight without going to the gym, or doing any formal exercise. However, if you choose to not do it then you have to be strict on the diet aspect of the journey and not stray. This means measuring, logging every bite that goes into your mouth if you can't lose without doing it that way. Of course it's healthier to exercise and gives you a bit more wiggle room on the eating if you do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

alexanw1
on 5/5/13 9:59 am - Morrisville, PA
First of all ,congrats to you for staying in the journey. There are many other forms of healthy workouts other than a gym. Try swimclasses or walking , even bike riding on the roads.
also remember to be thankfull for the weight loss that has happened and that our goal was better living, not some unattainable perfect body.We must remember that we are on a journey and not going to a destination. Again congrats to you. Willie
alexanw1        
Most Active