MY SURGERY IS DEFINITELY BETTER THAN YOUR SURGERY!!!

dahoodman
on 5/7/13 2:32 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

What's up with all the fighting and bickering over which surgery is better than the other. Just pick one and shut up!!

Seriously though, can't we all just get along.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

chris_ruff
on 5/7/13 2:42 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

well some of it is the incessant neediness to be "right". and some of it is facts. some surgeries are just more successful than others when you look at long-term weight loss and complication rates. 

--Christina
Linda_S
on 5/7/13 3:17 am - Eugene, OR

LOL - it can get vicious, can't it?  People get passionate about health when they've had surgery.  I think anyone who is considering surgery should go and take a long read in the revisions forum.  There are a few types of surgery that I really think they should pull off the market.  Lots of pain and suffering which can only be alleviated with more surgery.  I was willing to swear the RNY was the gold standard when I had mine.  Not on that band wagon anymore, and oh -- don't get me started on bands!  Anyway, I think some are trying to be helpful and get carried away.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

mbentz
on 5/7/13 4:04 am - Somerset, PA

A few years ago when I first had my surgery, there was a certain group on here that were downright rude and beligerent.  I felt so badly for those that they attacked, all in the name of "paying it forward".  They weren't helpful in the least and made people feel that they could not post on here without being degraded.  Needless to say, one person in particular was banned from the site and some of her cronies went with her.  I have not noticed that level of beligerence ever since then.  I even stopped coming on here for awhile because it was so toxic.  It is much better now. 

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
bagelface
on 5/7/13 4:20 am
VSG on 08/22/12

I didn't see any bickering.  What thread are you talking about?  

Susan

Lapband 1/3/2007 (skmsu) revision to VSG 8/22/2012

dahoodman
on 5/7/13 4:44 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I read a lot of older posts as well when I am searching for something so it may have been something that was older that I read. I know for the short time that I have been on here as a member and the long time that I've been lurking prior to being a member, it just seems that when someone says, "What's the best surgery (for me)?" it sparks some pretty heated opinions. I generally respond to those with my experiences as limited as they are and from what I've read and I like to fill in with a talk to several surgeons if their surgeon doesn't do all the surgeries. There are a lot of folks who will just flat out say XYZ is the best and PDQ you DON'T want to do for sure. The misinformation that is spread with what I will call made up statistics is unbelievable. People see a statistic and instead of verifying it for themselves, they just keep repeating it as if it's gospel truth. 

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

bagelface
on 5/7/13 6:20 am
VSG on 08/22/12

I think most of the people who warn others about the LapBand have lived with it and are just trying to save someone else a bit of grief and complications.  I can't speak for the other surgery types, but I do know my own story with the band, and that of many others.  It's not as benign as you would think by the info put out by the manufacturers.   I am very fortunate to have been able to revise to the sleeve.  Now that some insurance policies are limiting WLS procedures to one in a lifetime, it's really important for folks that are pre-op to find out all they can about all of their options.  

I think anyone who wants an honest, expert assessment of all the major WLS types should check out this excellent article here on OH by  Dr. Roslin.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-procedure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practice-2/

Susan

Lapband 1/3/2007 (skmsu) revision to VSG 8/22/2012

MarthaMyDear
on 5/7/13 12:01 pm - PA
RNY on 04/09/13

OK I am changing from surgery to: I had a really cute male nurse  enlightened  LOL

MsBatt
on 5/7/13 2:00 pm

Oh, please---there hasn't been a good surgery war on here in AGES. Which is kinda sad, really, because a lot of folks learned a lot of good info from those threads. And a lot of misinformation got cleared up, too.

And no, we can't just all get along. Humans just can't seem to do that.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/8/13 8:15 am

It was one of those surgery wars that enlightened me about the sleeve and DS. 

Things may be more warm and fuzzy here now, but certainly not more informative. In fact some of the stuff I see here now is dangerously dumb.

You know, you don't have to participate in the heated posts in order to learn something from them.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1416 views