What a long road I have ahead

CHRISTY1632
on 5/22/13 12:54 pm - AUBURN, GA

I am new here and have enjoyed hearing all the success stories.  It is amazing as soon as you tell people you are considering wls they all want to tell you horror stories.  I seems like everyone knows someone that has died or suffered some horrible complications from wls.   I am going back and forth between the sleeve and lap band.  I like the lap band because of course it is the safest but I have a lot of weight to lose and I feel that the sleeve may be the better option. This is my second attempt at surgery...I was denied back in 2006.  I am frustrated since my insurance requires me to do a 6 month supervised diet before approving my surgery.  I have waited so long and now I know I have at least another 6 months to go.  Any suggestions on the surgery, approval, or pre surgery requirements are appreciated and I am sure will make my journey a little less stressful.

Raine
on 5/22/13 1:20 pm - Anoka, MN

Don't listen to the horror stories. It's like when you're pregnant and everybody has a bad labor story to tell you. Do your own research. For me I had RNY in 2001. It's still the best decision I ever made. After hearing all the horror stories about the band and it's complications, having to replace it every 8-10 yrs if it lasted that long, errosion, losing less, scar tissue, losing the port and having other surgeries to correct it, failure rate and a bunch of other stuff I went with RNY. The sleeve is a wonderful tool, great success stories and has a good reputation. It's work to keep on the diet we have to be on after surgery, but it's common sense, good eating habits and exercise. I eat normally - I eat almost everything I ate before surgery - in moderation. I eat better quality food and less quanitiy. I don't feel deprived ever and I find I'm not hungry like I was pre op - always. I eat by the clock and find meals more satisfying and healthier all the way around. It's do-able, buying smaller clothes is a serious motivator and you'll love the results. I am more active now than ever, and I am glad every single day I had it done. Good luck to you - hang in there with the 6 month diet.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

VSG on 06/12/13
Welcome! I am pre surgery but have been through the insurance ringer. The biggest thing I have learned - don't give up! Fight! You will succeed!

I just switched from RNY to sleeve. Read up on others' perspectives on the band - it seems many people have troubles. A good friend of mine is going in for revision on Friday. Her band is 6 years old and she has had big problems. My BIL met with his surgeon today - he said not to even bother with band.

Read, read, read and ask as many questions as you can. Understand as much as you can about what will happen before, during, and after surgery.

Good luck!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/22/13 2:09 pm
I cannot recommend the band for anyone because of the high complication rate. It is not the safest surgery.
I also recommend reading your insurance policy. Do not take anyone's word for what it says--find out for yourself.
Find a support group and go. A good support system is vital.
Good luck

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

CHRISTY1632
on 5/22/13 2:22 pm - AUBURN, GA

Thanks everyone....I am hearing more and more bad things about the band.  I guess i was considering it since in 2006 when I tried to get surgery the first time the sleeve wasn't really talked about.  I do have a friend that had the band and looks amazing but I am still leaning toward the sleeve.  I have a pretty strong background in the medical field especially in billing and insurance so I know they can be a pain.  I have spoke with them and they pretty much have all the same requirements that my surgeon has plus the 6 month supervised diet....blah.  I guess I waited this long I can wait 6 more months and hopefully I will get to start off 2014 a new me! 

Redbird2448
on 5/22/13 10:03 pm

I actually read an artical the other day (wish I could remember where) that they are considering taking the LB off the market, as the removals are so numerous, and something about esophageal scaring.  I have pretty much ruled it out. 

I guess im going to have to go big (pain wise) or go home.  

I did set up a seminar date for the fourth of June. I suppose I will be either encourage or scared out of this idea by then.

I feel like I am watching a horror move, yet am peeking between my fingers at this whole Idea.  Still the before, and after photos and testimonials are amazing.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/13 12:04 am
On May 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM Pacific Time, Redbird2448 wrote:

I actually read an artical the other day (wish I could remember where) that they are considering taking the LB off the market, as the removals are so numerous, and something about esophageal scaring.  I have pretty much ruled it out. 

I guess im going to have to go big (pain wise) or go home.  

I did set up a seminar date for the fourth of June. I suppose I will be either encourage or scared out of this idea by then.

I feel like I am watching a horror move, yet am peeking between my fingers at this whole Idea.  Still the before, and after photos and testimonials are amazing.  

Why do you say that?  There is absolutely no difference in pain or recovery for band or sleeve.  Sleeve is probably easier because there is no port.

Nikke2003
on 5/23/13 3:17 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
while I cant speak to the pain with the band...I can say that I'm 10 days out from the sleeve and I have been out and about walking around all morning running errands and feel great. I only have some lingering soreness at moments in the incision where they removed the stomach! Otherwise, I feel great!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

CHRISTY1632
on 5/23/13 9:07 am - AUBURN, GA

I attended my seminar about 2 weeks ago and was very impressed with the sleeve.  Honestly, this is probably the route I will go unless my surgeon has other suggestions.  I want something that I know I can live with and will have good weight loss with and I feel like the sleeve will be my best option.  Although,I am a little nervous about them taking over half of my stomach:/ Now I also hear something about sleeve patients becoming hypoglycemic.  I guess everything comes with a price!

Hislady
on 5/22/13 2:42 pm - Vancouver, WA

Please don't even think about the band it is so different from what we were told back in 2006! I had mine in 2007 and I regret it everyday. It is only good for 5-10 yrs max (if it lasts that long) and we are seeing more and more long term issues like decreased motility that can never be resolved. People are just stuck with it. It is also very ineffective if you have alot of weight to lose. The sleeve is a far better choice all the way around. I'm just biding my time until I can revise to sleeve.  Good luck but do get a good effective surgery!

Most Active