Six years ago today I had bariatric surgery...

cherylannpowers
on 6/18/13 5:46 am

Barbara,

So I guess it is not uncommon to experience a weight gain...I lost 153 pounds (am 8 years out) and have gained 25 lbs back -- I am trying like heck to do what I can to loose that 25 lbs but nothing seems to work.  I do eat healthier and exercise as much as I can (have Sjorgrens which hinders my exercise ability because I get sick when I don't get enough fluid and have bone spurs in my foot which flair up more than I would like.)  Any advice would be greatly appreciated or is this something that is common.  I am just so afraid of gaining back all the weight, even though my eating habits are very different -- but I struggled with my weight all my life and it wasn't until I was 43 that I had the surgery.  Thanks.

Cheryl

Barbara C.
on 6/18/13 6:37 am - Raleigh, NC

Cheryl,

It is my understanding that it is not uncommon for people to experience a 5 to 15% 'bounce back' no matter what weight loss method they employed. Once you crest that 10 to 15% mark, then you are starting to tread in dangerous waters. Since your overall weight loss was 153, a 23 lb regain would be with in the top of the range. That means that you aren't too far off, so I wouldn't 'worry' over too much. It's really important to understand what has contributed to your regain. Often, if we start logging again, we will see that we are indeed consuming more carbs and overall calories than we realize. I think that the key to our success actually lies in our maintaining a level of awareness and personal accountability. As we do that, we often are able to see patterns that we can change which will make a positive impact.

Congratulations on your significant success.

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

cherylannpowers
on 6/18/13 11:20 pm

Thanks Barbara, I appreciate the information.  I do watch and log my meals -- even use WW online so that I can use the points system.  I know exactly where my gain came from -- I remarried (my prior husband left me because I got thin and healthy and he could not control me anymore), and very happy and more relaxed -- feeling like my old self again.  Once that gain hit me like a ton of bricks, that was when I really buckled down again, but just can't seem to loose it -- will lose 5 and gain 4....a yo yo...but have never gone over that initial gain -- I guess my persistence pays off.

Have you ever heard of Skinny Fiber -- someone told me to try that and I thought about it but an leery because of the surgery.

Cheryl

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/19/13 12:19 pm - Belleville, IL

Congratulations on ALL you have accomplished Barbara! ((((((hugs))))))

Warmly,

Ducky

Most Active