Incision separation years out?

Linda_S
on 6/17/13 2:12 am - Eugene, OR

This is beginning to worry me terribly, although last time I talked to my doc, he didn't seem all that concerned.  I had my RNY laparoscopically, but two years later, I had to have extensive spine surgery (unrelated to the WLS) where they had to go in from the front and split me from the top of my pubic bone to the bottom of my left ribcage.  The wound seemed to heal okay, except right around my waistline -- I think mostly from my jeans rubbing on the spot.  In January of this year, I was having a lot of abdominal discomfort and they did a CT scan.  They found a small hernia near my waist.  I had gained a bit of weight back, so decided I'd best work extra hard at getting some of it off so as not to aggravate the situation.  So, I've lost about ten of my regained pounds, but now I feel as though I'm coming apart at the seam.  A few nights ago, I was out for a walk and felt what I can only describe as a ripping sensation, and came home to find the scar from my waist down to my pubic bone had turned from white to red.  I'm wearing a compression garment because when I eat, I can feel horrible pressure right under my left ribcage.  It feels lumpy to the touch there.

I know I need to go see the doc, but has anyone who had any open surgery had their seams come apart after about five years?  I never believed this could happen but I honestly do think I'm coming apart at my seam!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Kathy S.
on 6/17/13 3:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Geez Linda, on top of everything you have been through now this? I have not heard of this but my best guess the hernia has expanded. As you said call your doctor ASAP.

Please keep me posted!

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/17/13 5:29 am

I second what Kathy said - I think your hernia my got bigger - so yes - your are coming apart from the inside out..  Please call the doc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active