5 days post op and already cheated...HELP!!!

phatygurl10
on 6/21/13 8:31 am - CA
RNY on 06/17/13
So I had RNY this past Monday and everything has been going great. I had a few bites of egg salad on my 4th day with no problems (I wasn't supposed to move to my next stage until 7 days) and then today I ate an entire white chocolate cookie!!! I haven't experienced any "dumping" symptoms as of yet (it's been almost 2 hours and I'm really upset. Maybe my surgery didn't work, I mean how could I have cheated so quickly?? I know that the mental part needs to be worked on but it's definately scaring/depressing me because I don't want to have done all of this for nothing. Please help with any advice!!
Laguerita13
on 6/21/13 9:30 am - Morristown, TN
The only thing i would know to tell you would be throw out the cookies!!! If your heads not in it , it wont work.
kksnewsong
on 6/21/13 9:46 am
RNY on 06/06/13
Do you realize you could open your incisions? Or damage your stomach and have to have surgery again? Please follow your drs. Instructions! I'm 15 days post-op .... Its your head you are listening to. I have craved all kind of foods but would not dare risk harming myself...I started pureed today and only after a tablespoon I was full. PLEASE STOP AND GO BACK TO YOUR DRS INSTRUCTIONS! I assure you it'll get better! Your emotions will run up and down! Get you someone there to help support you constantly! Will pray for you!
poet_kelly
on 6/21/13 9:50 am - OH

Surgery worked.  Only about 30% of people dump and operating on your stomach and small intestine doesn't prevent you from eating cookies if you choose to.

Are you in therapy? If not, I would call a therapy Monday and make an appointment.  You have to do the mental and emotional work yourself.  No operation can do that for you.  You have to control your own behavior. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hislady
on 6/21/13 10:36 am - Vancouver, WA

Adding to what Kelly said your cookie is a slider food and you can eat lots of sliders and not feel full. I just wish more surgeons would insist on counceling BEFORE surgery so people aren't dealing with issues like this. The surgery isn't going to stop you from eating bad foods it will only help you feel fuller sooner. Please respect your new pouch and follow your instructions!

VSG on 06/12/13
You have GOT to pull yourself together.

This is from your blog: "I've worked so hard to get to this point and I don't want this to be the thing that prevents me from getting my surgery."

You were struggling with you pre op diet. It seems you moved so quickly through the process. You had a psych eval. Did anything turn up there?

Get yourself a therapist, pronto, and prepare to do some real work. Otherwise, all of the post op stuff you went through - the vomiting, the feeling poorly, ALL of it is for nothing.

You can do this. Will you commit to doing what is necessary to be successful?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/21/13 11:51 am, edited 6/21/13 11:51 am

You have just learned that surgery doesn't stop us from eating things. Sure, we can't eat as much as preop, but we can still eat them. Our surgeons do the cutting, but we have to do the day-to-day work of monitoring our intake. Chuck the crap out of your home if it is tempting.

You can do this.

ETA: Some of us are all ****** up in the head and think that thin people eat whatever they want without consequences and we should be able to as well. No. Eating poorly can also contribute to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, etc. I remind myself of that. I don't want any of those things back. It's not just a matter of not wanting to regain--it's a matter of not wanting the other consequences of a crap diet. I like to remind myself that by eating well, the only thing I am deprived of is poor health caused by crappy dietary choices and a ****load of regain.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Linda_S
on 6/21/13 1:22 pm - Eugene, OR

Good grief!  Knock that S%$t off!  The surgery was on your stomach and your guts, not on your brain.  You need to adjust your attitude.  Go see a counselor if need be, or you'll be one of the statistics who gains all her weight back.  Believe me, you don't want to go there.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/13 1:34 pm

Frankly I have no sympathy for you. You have been given an amazing gift and you are treating it like its going to do all the work for you and you just have to sit back and do what you want. First of all.... Egg Salad is very bad for you... eggs and mayonaise ... plus cookies??? Dont come crying on here that the surgery isnt working.... Its you that is not working. Do as you are supossed to do and make it work for you. If not then all you have done , the money for the surgery that has been paid for was all a waste. 

lamby80
on 6/21/13 3:20 pm
DS on 04/10/13

Food addiction is really hard.  But, it's not only your weight you might be sabotaging, at this stage it's your life.  Your stomach is VERY small and still "wounded", and that amount of non-soft solids could really hurt you.

Have you considered counseling at all?  it's very very helpful when it comes to food addiction!

BPD/DS/VSG/Appendectomy/Cholecystectomy on 4/10/2013 with Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active