Fixated....what to do??

stephaniesjourney
on 7/8/13 1:09 pm

My brain is fixated on WLS at the moment.  Currently the only thing I have left to do is my psych evaluations.  I've got one on July 23rd and August 6th.  My problem is that I don't really know what to expect.  Once I'm done with those, then the drs office will be able to submit the insurance request.  I have UHC and from what they've told me there's no supervised diet but proof of BMI of over 40 for the last 5 years.  Ive been reading through their plan documents and its indicating that one needs to have proof of following a structured weight loss plan for at least 6 months (which would include drs notes and/or other things too).  I highly doubt my dr. has anything in notes about me being too fat.  He's got my height and weight being over 40 BMI for the last 5 plus years....but whenever i brought up weight, he'd just say go to weigh****chers etc....which i suspect isn't documented.  I've reached out to weigh****chers and they provided me with my records since 2006 and you can see my weight fluctuating off on and ....and they've provided all my electronic payments to them....a lot of my stuff has been on paper and at the time....wasn't kept.  I've also documented all my other trys...other weight loss efforts....i've gone to a couple of different nutrition places that had nutrition and exercise...I've got those documented I've been going to a body shaping place since October 2012 that's nutrition and exercise and have those weights dates etc.....but I don't know if this will be enough since it was all on my own.  So now I'm getting nervous that i'm just wasting time by sitting waiting.....shout i be starting working with a nutritionist now...and visiting my dr. every moth until insurance makes their decision (which according to my drs office would likely be by the end of August).....or do i just throw it on the wall at this point and see if it sticks.....Ive talked to my insurance company....i've read their information.....just now more confused if what I have will even be sufficient.  Anyone else been through it?? 

uglymouse
on 7/8/13 1:41 pm - newnan, GA

I have UHC too.  I have my first appointment on the  19th.  I am not sure what is needed, but we do have coverage according to the coordinator for the surgeons office.  She wasn't sure what was needed.  

I don't have proof from the doctor's office of BMI of over 40 for the last 5 years.  I just started going last year.  I guess I can go to my ob/gyn to get proof of my weight. It will show me being obese for over my pregnancy, and from my previous pregnancy. 

bunbun81
on 7/8/13 2:52 pm - TX

where's this plan you are talking about?  i have my first appointment on the 17th.  so far as i know...i just need to be over 40 bmi...like you.  i have UHC as well...

stephaniesjourney
on 7/8/13 9:38 pm

its on their website when i log in through my company sponsored plan. 

guess I'll just try and let it all go today....or maybe i'll call my insurance people...see what they think. 

Lora R.
on 7/8/13 9:37 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Call your insurance company.  You might have the same company, but will probably have a different plan.  Each is different.  Ask the doctor if they have it documented.  Most will put referred to WW, etc.  Good Luck!

Lora R

Building A Cocoon
on 7/9/13 10:00 am - South Central PA, PA

I can't give much advice. I advice about your specific insurance. I went through sort of a program offered by Hershey Medical Center. Many of the hospitals doing the surgeries have these programs to make sure that the patients meet the criteria. I would suggest you speak to the doctor's office (doctor himself probably has no clear idea about insurance). They will know what you need because they have to have the info gathered before they can submit for approval.

Best of luck!

juleskar
on 7/10/13 8:33 pm
I would ask the Bariatric coordinator to submit the approval request to your insurance to see what they say...It can't hurt.
Most Active