Case and Point: Skinny Girls

Building A Cocoon
on 7/9/13 9:54 am - South Central PA, PA

I've gained 15 pounds in about 5 months. My car died+stress+bad mentality has culminated to bring me here. I noticed some time ago that I stopped eating like a fat girl who wanted to stay thin, and eating like a skinny girl avoiding a few pounds. So a couple of cookies don't hurt. Yep, chips are fine sometimes. I can have a little more of that. Now I am back to so many of the poor habits of before.

My issue was always that I'd eat sweets and junk instead of food. I was talking to a nutritionist one day and she asked what I had in the last 24 hours. I couldn't mention one actual food item, much less protein. I have come back this time not to share support but to acquire some.

Please help. I truly never thought it would be me.

Kathleen W.
on 7/9/13 10:00 am - Lancaster, PA

Ok.  Remember what you did in the beginning of your journey?  Make sure you get your protein, fluids, and vitamins in.  It's essential for your health.  Weigh and measure everything you eat and journal it.  Get some kind activity in.  Remember, please remember, why you had this surgery.  You know what to do.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Building A Cocoon
on 7/9/13 1:51 pm - South Central PA, PA

So very true. I do know what to do. It seems that I have flown so far away from that. Eating in my car, stress eating instead of stress shopping (A girl has to do something). It's a hard do over. Thanks for the encouragement. So very much.

Mary Catherine
on 7/9/13 1:04 pm

I use Quest protein bars as a good for me meal that is similar to eating real cookies. My favorites are the chocolate brownie bar and the chocolate chip cookie dough bars.  High protein and no sugar alcohols.  My secret has always been to find substitutes for the things that I love and that make me fat.  Putting the brownie bar in the microwave for about 10 seconds turns it into a warm, soft brownie treat.  170 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 5 non-fiber carbs keeps me full for about four hours.

I carry around a bottle of ice water, some cheese sticks, and my Quest bars.  I also love fresh tomatoes, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, cherries, apples, oranges, pears, peaches, nectarines and melons.  I keep my meals to about 200 calories, avoid white carbs and sugar alcohols, and try never to go more than four hours without eating something.  That often includes a snack at 3 AM is I am up then.

I also weigh daily so pounds do not sneak up on me.  If I gain more than two pounds I cut down on food and up my exercise and water.  It is easier to deal with two pounds of regain than ten or fifteen.  If I wanted to lose fifteen pounds, I would set a goal of losing one pound a week and give myself fifteen weeks to do that. 

Building A Cocoon
on 7/9/13 1:56 pm - South Central PA, PA

I did those things in the beginning (sans ice water). Admittedly I lost my mind with the Quest bars, I think I'll try again though. The microwave thing sounds cool. I am trying to figure out if Greek yogurt has a place in my life. Today I went back to my protein shakes. The very first ones I had. I planned far more than I have in months... maybe even the last year. I am going to try to do the 15 week plan but panic mode says starve and do it in a couple of weeks. I know better and won't. Starvation diets are evil and are like Karma, they always come back with a vengeance.

Thank you for replying. I need the support right now. I guess that's why came back home.

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/13 8:10 pm

I married a guy who had had Gastric Bypass and I was AMAZED at the amount of  "junk food " ( mostly the so called lower calorie kind ) in his home ..the fact that he routinely ate out which means far more fat in the food than anything you'd dream of making at home ...and the fact that he ate virtually NO fresh vegetables or fruit ...nor chose to walk , to swim, to exercise in any way ...

To ME , five years post op , still rocking tiny bikinis miniskirts tanktops and short shorts daily ( it IS  the summer lol , thankfully enlightened) my  " secret " is just gardening and pursuing my artistic passions , not overusing air conditioning , eating  a lot of  rice and beans and homegrown veggies and fruits  , fat free cheeses and very light meats like tuna or shrimp w fat free mayonnaise , breast of chicken in fat free sauces  ..

I HAVE to  keep moving because I have SO much to do lol !   Good luck ...(((())))  you CAN do this if you want to enough ..

mrsfrogdr
on 7/10/13 2:13 am

I am there with you except, I have regained 40 lb. It started with snacks and sweets at work.  Then I found myself back in the craving/starving cycle. Grazing and junk food are evil!  I have felt very out of control and crippled by guilt.  But it has to stop.  I didn't do this just to wear cute clothes.  I did this to be healthy. Even if I hadn't gained weight, this is not acceptable.

I am detoxing myself from white carbs rite now.  I know if I get sugar and flour out of my system I will be ok. I am also working on getting in 64+ oz of clear fluids and not drinking with and right after eating.   I am on day three.   I have noticed that I am not starving, the scale has moved, and I feel less guilty...guilt is my negative emotional nemesis.

What ha*****anges do you think would help you get back on track?

Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

gonersmom
on 7/10/13 6:11 am
I'm about 35# regained....also on day 3 of detox and feel like a druggie going through withdrawals! LOL Feeling icky, headachey.....I just keep telling myself I brought this on myself, be a big girl and don't whine!

I was doing fine at my 1 year mark, then the NUT told me to undo all the things that were working for me. No more 6 small meals/snacks.....move to 3 a day instead. Don't drink a glass of milk at night for a snack, shouldn't eat anything after 8pm, etc. And the biggy.....Don't weigh more than once a week....better if 2x a month. Boy, all that and a couple of non-related surgeries in which I was down for 12 weeks at a time have done their damage. The good thing is that I have been at this excess weight for a year now....I haven't continued to regain, so I'm feeling if I get back on track with all the basics again I'll soon be on the losing side again! YAY!!

Best wishes in this journey.....if you need someone to compare notes with, let me know. I'm still happily healthier now than I was 2 years ago, so I know this is all just temporary....keeping my eyes on the prize ahead!

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
mrsfrogdr
on 7/10/13 11:46 am

Thanks.  I have started posting my food on the VSG forum again.   I am real focusing on fluids.  Getting in enough and keeping the separate from food.   It really seems to be helping with the urge to graze.  

I really don't care what anyone else tells me to do anymore.  I know what works for my body and my brain.   You do, too.  A few more days and all the symptoms will be gone.   Your almost there!!!

Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

gonersmom
on 7/17/13 8:49 am
Thanks Dawn,
Just got back to the computer after about a week away. And I'm happy to say, yes, I'm symptom free and feeling much better after the 4 days of detox. So worth it, even tho it does get to the point you know you just want to throw in the towel. But I've done this too many time so I know the drill. Make bad choices, when you try to correct them you will have consequences to pay.

Have a great summer and you are right. We need to do what works for our own bodies and brains. We know how we feel, and which foods make us feel that way, whether it's for the better or the worse.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Most Active