Tummy Tuck 5 Years Post Op

Renee T.
on 7/12/13 5:13 pm - Hopkinsville, KY

Ok - I am going under the knife again after 5 years and the emotions are rushing back. I have done well since my original RNY 4.18.2008. Went from 230 to 158. My lowest weight was 133 back in May 2010 but went through a divorce in Aug 2011 and ate for comfort so I've gained a few pounds back. My Dr. said I needed to gain some when I was 133 because I looked too thin. I feel OK but just a little nervous about the pain I'll have after the TT (tummy tuck). My surgery is on Monday (7.15.2013) and I remembered this site and decided to revisit. I would love to hear from anyone who had a TT post op. Words of wisdom, encouragement, etc. Thanks in advance.

Renee

mkvand
on 7/12/13 9:18 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I've never had a TT, so I have no works of wisdom, but I do wish you the best of luck, and congratulations at maintaining a healthy weight five years out.

Renee T.
on 7/13/13 3:37 am - Hopkinsville, KY

Thank you!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/13 11:07 pm
Ouch.. And good luck. You will do fine. My advice - don't try tho do too much too soon after. Take it easy... Walk.. Walk walk...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Renee T.
on 7/13/13 3:38 am - Hopkinsville, KY

I have to remember that. I'm glad the kids are gone so I won't feel as pressured to be in "mommy mode". Thank you!

Laura in Texas
on 7/13/13 12:35 am

Awesome!! So happy for you!! Plastics is the fun part. The icing on the cake. The part of the journey that makes us feel "whole" again. Take your pain meds on schedule at least for the first few days to prevent the pain from overpowering you. After a few days, you will feel much better. Just hang in there and know it was worth it!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Mary Catherine
on 7/13/13 1:20 am

There are some things that insurance won’t cover.  You need a good stage two compression garment.  Get one with straps and wear it all the time for about three months.  Silicone strips will minimize scarring.  Eating a lot of fresh pineapple will do wonders for keeping swelling away.

Plan for lots of rest after surgery and have someone to help you.  If you have a recliner, that will be the best place to sleep.  Get some bed or hospital pads to put under you to protect your bed or furniture from any leaks while you are sleeping.  Rent or borrow a walker.  It will be a week or more before you will be able to stand up straight. 

Have loose comfortable clothes with pockets for the drains or something that you don’t mind putting safety pins on.  I wore loose men’s flannel shirts and sweat pants for a while.  Get a shower seat so that you will have less chance of falling in the shower.

Don’t lift anything over 10 pounds while healing for the first three months. Plan for a lot of mirror time looking at your flat tummy.

Renee T.
on 7/13/13 3:30 am - Hopkinsville, KY

Thank you so much White Dove. Are you also on Realself.com? Your screen name looks familiar. Yes, I bought a pineapple yesterday as recommended by my Dr. I have gotten several recommendations to rent a recliner. I do not have one. Is a compression garment the same thing as a girdle? I have a couple of those but wondering if I should get a different type. I did get compression stockings. My sister is staying with me a few days. What a blessing. I am just on such an emotional roller coaster and so fearful of the pain. My RNY was the worse pain ever for the first 24 hours. 

Thanks for the suggestion to get bed pads. I hadn't even thought about that or read that anywhere. I am really thinking about renting this recliner for a couple of weeks. Hmmmm, I am also thinking about getting a walker now. Hadn't thought of that either. This has been so helpful. I truly appreciate you all!!!! I am blessed that my shower already has a seat in it. THANK JEHOVAH GOD!!!!!

I have started taking before pics....and they are disgusting. :-) It's like prepping for gastric all over again.  

Renee

Laura in Texas
on 7/13/13 8:30 am

Ask your surgeon about the compression garment. Some do not want their patients to use them, others give them to their patients at the time of their surgery. Mine was provided by my surgeon. This is the one I used. I loved it.

http://www.contourmd.com/Style-4-Mid-Thigh-Girdle-4in-Waist

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MyBariatricLife
on 7/13/13 3:04 am

Congrats on your decision. I had a tummy tuck in April, ten years after my gastric bypass. I freaked out over the pain and swelling because I did not know what to expect. At 3-mos post op I am absolutely in love with my new tummy!!!!! The posters on the plastic surgery forum helped a lot as did keeping in touch with my plastic surgeon. 

Hang in there. You will go through some rough days ahead but it will be delightful in the end.

you may read all about my experience here http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160586/bariatric-abdominoplasty-ch/

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active