Looking for other "lightweights" like me

demig
on 7/20/13 11:12 am - NC
VSG on 02/14/14

Hi,

I think I have finally found a board that I fit in with. I am 43yrs old 5'8 with a bmi of 37 w/ osa, high blood pressure and cholesterol. My current weight is 240. I just went in for my initial consult last monday. Insurance will cover my surgery, just need 6 mos. dr. supervised weight program. I am looking for some support. Most people I have spoken to think I am not "big" enough to have surgery. Others think that I should try one more diet. I have been overweight all of my adult life and am ready to make an adult decision to have surgery. Some people just don't get that I have tried it all and just need a lifetime tool to help me to lead a healthy life. I would love to hear from other lightweights!!! Looking to help build a support system.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Demi

stonerose
on 7/20/13 11:19 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Check out the WLS lightweights board.  I just had surgery with a Bmi of 40.  It's a very supportive place.

Christine

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

LadyLilMax
on 7/20/13 11:47 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Hi there,

I am only 5ft 1 and weighed 230, BMI of 4, at my highest weight.  I, too, was overweight all my life.  People told me I wasn't fat enough for the surgery but with all my comorbidities and getting older, I really needed to so something or be miserable the rest of whatever life was left to me.

I had the RNY 12/11/12 and reached my goal of 140 in 6 months.  I have now lost 85% of my excess weight and I am weighing 132.6 lbs.  I only wish I had done this years earlier.  This truly is a life changing tool.  It requires dedication and motivation but oh, man, it is so worth it to watch the weight flow off after years of not being able to lose.  I am active, off almost all my previous meds and feel 40 years younger now, LOL.  

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

LadyLilMax
on 7/20/13 11:48 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

BMI of 40 not 4 LOL

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

goddessgrrl
on 7/20/13 3:00 pm - VA

Hi Demi & welcome! I was a lightweight too. Check my OH blog. Good luck on your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

horrible_monster
on 7/20/13 5:50 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

Yo! I feel you. I'm 5'7" and my highest weight was 250. Also have sleep apnea (still do, but it's better--in the sense that I feel like I get more productive use from my CPAP.) I got a few "wait, you?!" comments from people when I made the decision to have surgery, which for me was at around 235 pounds. Usually if I felt like I needed or wanted to satisfy their curiosity I'd mention the sleep apnea; 9 times out of 10 they got it, then. I could go on and on about being a lightweight and seeking surgery, but I'll just second the recommendation to check out the lightweights board. You can read my blog, too, although it's mostly blathering. Welcome welcome!

(One more thing I'll say is that if I had just kept dieting and trying to do it on my own I am 99.9% sure I would have ended up heavier, sicker, and more miserable than ever. Exercise for me at 250 pounds, and even in the 220s and 230s, was virtually impossible. At least, I couldn't reach and maintain the level of exertion that would do me any good. I think this was because the excess weight was making my apnea so much worse. So my situation became kind of sticky; can't get healthier because I can't exercise because I'm not getting meaningful rest at night...because I'm not exercising, because because because. I know people way heavier than I ever was who hike and do Zumba and crazy workouts at the Y and I just shake my head; if I could've been as active as they are I would have been a much healthier, happier 250-pounder. Really, I envy them. ANYWAY, I DO GO ON.)

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

gayle-n-reno
on 7/21/13 7:42 am - NV

Hello Demig,

When I went to for my first appt. I weighed 198.5 I am 5'2. My BMI was 37.66.  I had been told FOREVER I was not FAT enough. I just had my RNY done on Wednesday 17-Jul-2013.  I feel amazing.  It is the first time in my life I don't feel hungry.  This place is great.  There is so much support to be found...

Good luck

gayle-n-reno

wkeener
on 7/25/13 1:21 am - TX

I weighted 212 at 1st visit and was 203 at surgery date so yes you can be a lightweight and still have sleeve surgery I am so happy down to 179 in 6 weeks

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views