Cardiologist today and feeling really annoyed

AndiT
on 7/31/13 7:01 am - Hillsboro, OR
VSG on 10/30/13

So today I had a cardiologist appointment where they were supposed to check me out and evaluate me for surgery I guess.  The doctor while very nice, seemed to be making quite a few assumptions about me.

In going over my medical history and discovering I deal with depression, well don't a lot of large folks? She seemed a bit appalled I don't take medication to deal with it.  No, ma'am I don't, I am in therapy trying to get to the root of my issues, not medicating them away.  She indicated the medication would help me with my "eating disorder" as related to my depression.

I never once said I had an eating disorder, nor did I mention ever that my weight came from crying over a half gallon of ice cream.  I am not an emotional eater.  I am a horrible eater, I dont eat when I should, I go without all day, and then eat too much when supper time comes, as along with that, most meals were take out or just simply not healthy meals.  I am also a sedintary person, I stay home with a child, I am morbidly obese, I have medical issues, I dont move around much.  Fat is attracted to my ass, and I made it easy to climb on.

Anyhow back to my point.  I indicated I already have enough problems with my body, I didnt want to add medications that were not super important, you know like something that will keep me from dying.  An antidepressant, is something I can live without, took them before, dont want another one.  She then went on to tell me that I needed something to control my blood pressure, could give me the name of the med, but I am not kidding here, couldn't tell me how it worked to help my blood pressure.  I didnt feel too confident at that point. 

She wants to do a stress test but not until I am closer to 300 lbs cause the machine cannot handle me at my current weight.  I get that I am huge, but I also know other folk have had this test done weighing more than 300 lbs.

When we parted she asked to see me in 6 weeks to see how my wight loss is coming along and then she might decide then to do a stress test.  So basically I feel like, this isnt gonna happen unless this woman signs off on me.  And while I know loosing more weight will make me healthier to have surgery, I am not the first person, nor will I be the last to have surgery at my weight.

I haven't even MET my surgeon yet, I am still dealing with the Weight Management Center at the hospital where she will be doing the surgery.  I realize I need to be patient and these things take time, but I am on this miserable as **** protein shake diet and I really cannot see how I am supposed to live in this indefinitely.

Brandixoxo
on 7/31/13 10:50 am

While I am far from expert, and still a newbie on here, I can say that I too couldn't stand the miserable pre-op protein shake diet. I chose to just eat  very high protein, lean meats and veggies. It kept me sane and the weight dropped off. The jumping through hoops before surgery is enough to drive anyone crazy, in addition to the pre-op diet, I can imagine it makes a lot of people give up on the process prematurely. I hope it gets easier for you. I'm 9 days post op now and would KILL for one of those high protein meals, enjoy them while you can. LOL. Good luck. 

VSG on 06/12/13
Do you have options for another doctor for the stress test? It seems like this person is not being as helpful as they could be regarding your surgery. Must they be on your team?

Pill pushing docs aggravate me.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

AndiT
on 7/31/13 11:54 am - Hillsboro, OR
VSG on 10/30/13

Yeah seriously was not down with her pushing the meds on me, I will meet with my bariatric doc for my weekly check in on Tuesday, and tell her what all went down and ask to see a different cardiologist who might have a better handle on working with WLS patients.

MsBatt
on 7/31/13 11:59 am

While I wouldn't be too confident in a cardiologist who couldn't tell me how a given BP med worked, if yours is high you definitely need to get it under control before surgery. How high was it?

ajohnson201376
on 7/31/13 1:28 pm - MD

She's a cardiologist. If she signs off for the surgery and as a result of the uncontrolled high blood pressure, you suffer a stroke or a heart attack, she will be held responsible for your death. Lawyers will bring up the fact that you had high uncontrolled blood pressure and that your cardiologists was negligent when she signed off on the surgery. Your weight loss surgeon doesn't want to be blamed either since he's referring you to the cardiologist. If he didn't think your high blood pressure (or heart) was an issue, he would have performed the surgery without the need of the cardiologist.
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/13 12:03 am
On July 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM Pacific Time, ajohnson201376 wrote:

She's a cardiologist. If she signs off for the surgery and as a result of the uncontrolled high blood pressure, you suffer a stroke or a heart attack, she will be held responsible for your death. Lawyers will bring up the fact that you had high uncontrolled blood pressure and that your cardiologists was negligent when she signed off on the surgery. Your weight loss surgeon doesn't want to be blamed either since he's referring you to the cardiologist. If he didn't think your high blood pressure (or heart) was an issue, he would have performed the surgery without the need of the cardiologist.

LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not  believe a cardiologist does not know how a BP drug works.  A pharmacy tech with 9 months of education knows how a BP drug works.  Anyone with internet access knows how a BP drug works.  What I do believe is she was too arrogant to explain.

I would refuse a stress test if I didn't have equipment to handle a 300+# person as well.  If ANYTHING happens that is a huge lawsuit just waiting to happen.  You just can't ask a medical professional to risk their medical license and med mal ins.  It isn't right.

There are two sides to every story in the world. I cannot offer advice, suggestions, or support without hearing the other side as well.

OR tables typically handle either 500 or 600#.  Xray tables typically handle 300#.  Anything over that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  We are a society that sues for a living.  What doctor wants to jeopardize their income and future income to do a stress test on a person without the right equipment?  One would have to be insane to do such a thing.

andi5
on 8/1/13 2:16 am - IA

This does make sense! If she does not have the proper equipment to handle the weight than I can see why she said that. But, I believe she should have explained herself better!  Instead it seems she came off rude and uncaring, plus it seems like the Cardiologist made her feel bad.

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/13 12:08 am

We eat chit food to the point of MO, we sit on our butts watching TV while watching our butts grow bigger and bigger.  Sorry, dear, that IS an eating disorder.  I didn't accept that pre op either, today... I do.

You didn't get 300+# without food issues, it doesn't work that way.

I wish you all the success in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poet_kelly
on 8/1/13 1:36 am - OH

Not all obese people have eating disorders.  Maybe you have one, or maybe you had one in the past, I don't know.  But not all obese people have eating disorders.   Nor do all skinny people have eating disorders.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1247 views