When Does Your Body Begin To Absorb Calories Properly Again?

BrandNewKimmie
on 8/8/13 2:25 am
RNY on 02/21/12

I'm 18 months out. I've lost all of the weight and think that I've begun to get comfortable. I've stopped going to the gym - haven't been in months and I have those days where I eat what I want. I've incorporated pizza back into my diet, mainly the toppings I try to disregard the breading, as well as sweets, and other not so good things. I know that I'm pressing my luck but I'm curious, why am I not gaining weight 18 months after surgery. Is it that I'm really not eating that much or my body still isn't absorbing properly. I've been between 151 - 156 lbs for months.

Granted my sense of portion control is warped since the surgery. What I think is a lot and consider me gorging my friends and family look at as not enough.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

MsBatt
on 8/8/13 7:21 am

It varies by surgery type. By 18-24 months after the RNY, most people are absorbing pretty much all of the protein and carbs they eat. You will always malabsorb fat to some degree, but not much.

VSGers malabsorb protein *slightly*, because the tiny tummy doesn't always break down protein sufficiently for complete digestion in the small intestine. However, it's not a significant degree of malabsorption.

DSers will always malabsorb protein, complex carbs, and fats---about 50% of protein, about 40% of complex carbs, and about 80% of fats. This is thought to be the reason the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats and does such a god job f treating diabetes and high cholesterol.

Zeigled
on 8/8/13 9:57 am - Parkton, MD

You are in the range to start gaining....but please stop for a minute and ask yourself what's going on with you.  Your post said you aren't going to the gym any more and incorporate pizza.  These are habits that you worked hard to get into for lifelong success.  What's happening that you want to stop? 

HW 357 SW 341   

SandieMc49
on 8/8/13 9:28 pm

Why did you give up on those good habits so soon?  Heck, why give up on them at all?  Exercise is good for weight maintenance, body shaping and toning, and overall mental health.  Don't have a false sense of security that the "gravy train (excuse the pun)" is going to last forever.  Quick, today, right now - get back on track with your thinking, eating, and commitment to exercising. 

BrandNewKimmie
on 8/8/13 10:54 pm
RNY on 02/21/12

Thanks for all of the feedback! I stopped going to the gym several times a week back in March. I became overwhelmed with my hectic schedule along with work and family. I would sneak in weekend runs and zumba classes every now and they but I have not seen the gym since March. 

In terms of my eating, I began breaking my bad habits out of  convenience and tolerance. If I was on the go and was hungry (I've also battled low sugar since surgery so have to eat every few hours) and my body could tolerate a bag of chips or a piece of bread I would have it. 

Although I'm in a body I've always dreamed of, I don't feel healthy. I feel bloated and out of shape. It's definitely time to hit the reset button. I've started the process of  a liquid fast this morning, (I have blood work to do in the morning so I figured I'd start early and continue until tomorrow afternoon) just to renew my mind and reset my body a little. I'm ready to get back on track with regular exercise and healthy eating habits. Thanks again for the feedback :)

Member Services
on 8/8/13 11:22 pm - Irvine, CA

Good information everyone angry

Mary Catherine
on 8/9/13 6:17 am

I lost about 10 pounds at 18 months and stayed there until 30 months. I was 8 under goal so not too concerned when I gained three pounds at 30 months.  Then three more pounds a month for the next five months and I ended up six pounds over goal.

I had not made any changes in diet or exercise and believe that my malabsorption ended then.  I joined Weigh****chers, exercised more, and could not lose that extra weight until I went to a 800 calories plan for three months.  With Weigh****chers I had started eating some foods that I had not touched since surgery, like Weigh****cher cookies that they sell at their meetings.

I did not stop the regain until I started a daily weigh in   Enjoy this time of effortless maintenance, but don't do what I did and hide the scale.  RNY malabsorption is not forever.  You and I seem to be the ones which malabsorption lasted longer than 18 months.

BrandNewKimmie
on 8/12/13 1:32 am
RNY on 02/21/12

Thanks for your feedback!

Most Active