Question about the foods you eat after surgery

zzobe
on 8/10/13 1:28 pm

I have my first doctor appt. in a couple of weeks but have a question about food intake after surgery. I've heard a few different answers. I met this doctor at the first seminar and asked about meals. He said that once I have had surgery and am healed, that I would be eating 3 meals/day with zero calorie liquids in between. I've heard others say that they eat 6-8 times per day. Do different doctors have differing opinions about when food should be consumed? I'd like to hear from different people as to how often they eat. Thanks.

Member Services
on 8/10/13 11:38 pm - Irvine, CA

Hello zzobe,

You will find each surgeon is different on what they want their patients to eat after surgery.  Go with the eating plan your surgeon/dietician lays out for you.  If you want some feedback on what other members eat, post this on your surgery type and they will be glad to give you some feed back

LapBand
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
Vertical Banded Gastroplasty
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Duodenal Switch
Biliopancreatic Diversion

poet_kelly
on 8/11/13 12:24 am - OH

Yes, different doctors have different opinions on this.

What really matters is how many calories you consume over the  whole day.  If I eat 500 calories three times a day, or if I eat 300 calories five times a day, it's all 1500 calories.  Doesn't matter how I split it up.

If I only ate three time a day, I would not be able to get enough protein or calories, because I can't eat very large amounts.  Also, if I go more than three or four hours between meals, my blood sugar drops very low.  Once it was down to 37.  Once I actually had a seizure due to low blood sugar.  If some doctor thinks it's a good idea for me to only eat three time a day and have seizures due to low blood sugar, well, he is nuts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnniesSS
on 8/11/13 9:17 am
RNY on 09/11/12

Yep. From all I've read, many doctors have different plans.  Mine wants me to have 6 meals a day with 80 oz of water every day.

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

karpak
on 8/11/13 10:08 am - Canada

hi there, my name is karen, i live in canada, i had gastric bypass, after surgery i had to go thru a series of stages of eating, each stage lasted about a week..my bariatric clinic gave me a book and went thru it with me of what i could and couldn't do..but basically i could only eat about 3 ounces at a time and at 1st it was only liquids, then went to purees, i took 4 weeks before could get onto solid foods.

serenity1959
on 8/13/13 1:21 pm
VSG on 08/05/13

FWIW, my doctors recommends 5 small meals a day, 600 to 800 calories, and 40 to 60 carbs during the weight loss stage.

HW 275  SW 266

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1405 views