PROTEIN SHAKES UGH

lmc614
on 8/16/13 12:44 am

Okay, I am 4 weeks post op and doing very well.  I am still having trouble getting protein shakes down.  I have managed to get most of my protein in but I absolutely have to force myself to drink them.  They just have a nasty taste to me that I cannot seem to get past.  I have tried powdered and ready to drink in Pure Protein, Premier Protein, EAS, some other brand from Walgreens that I can not remember the name of, different flavors of Nectar and Unjury, including the unflavored kind. I have tried adding fruit, flavorings, jello, jello pudding mix and just cannot do them.  Right now I put unflavored Unjury in a bottle of water and Crystal Light and have to hold my nose to drink it and it is still just gross and almost makes me sick. The only one I  find tolerable is the Nectar Truffle and it is getting old very very fast.  My surgeons plan is for three meals and three snacks per day (snacks meaning protein shakes).  I found some protein bars that while they don't taste particularly good I can actually tolerate them it just takes me two hitches to get it all in.  They are 180 calories less than 5grams fat, around 23 grams protein and have the correct amount of sugars.  Are these exteremly bad?  I'm eating protein for all three meals, taking my vitamins and getting fluids.   It is just the shakes and bother me.  I thought the 180 calories wasn't too bad, my Nectar has 90 calories per scoop plus I am mixing it in 4 ozs of milk which I think has approx. 45 calories.  I'm going to call my NUT today and get her input but thought I would ask you guys.  I learn so much from this site.

Also I am 4 weeks out.  I started this Journey in January at 259, by surgery on August 17 I had lost 23 pounds by exercising and just making better choices.  Since my surgery I have lost 19 pounds.  Thought by now I would have lost a little more but I'm okay  with that.

chris_ruff
on 8/16/13 12:50 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

lots of people don't like shakes and have a hard time finding one they can deal with. personally, while i don't use shakes daily anymore, when i do, i can only stomach isopure natural vanilla or chocolate. pre-packaged shakes make me want to puke along with most other powders. 

my personal feeling is that its a good idea to regularly supplement with shakes during the first year to supplement the minimal amounts of food being ingested. so i would encourage you to keep trying. 

my favorite shake recipe is one scoop of isopure natural vanilla, half milk, half water, frozen berries (instead of ice) and a tablespoon of coconut oil . blend and drink. 

--Christina
hollykim
on 8/16/13 2:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You might try the fruity favors of Nectar in 32 oz of water with some Mio drops mixed in to taste. It makes the water cloud but very cold it might be doable for you.
Gl

martitalinda
on 8/16/13 1:52 am

When I was at 4 weeks out I was still recovering from a post op complication and was sipping Ensure from medicine cups GROSS but I held my breath and drank it anyway... top that with uvulitis from back to back intubation following surgery on one day and a ride back to the OR the very next day it was just hard to swallow and everything even water grossed me out... when I progressed to regular protein shakes I made them a bit more tolerable by adding a bit of cinnamon and blending in a blender.  I never really found a shake that I like all on its own... I have to tweak it... when I could I added low glycemic index fruits to the mix... I learned to blend protein powder and skim milk to make an awesome creamer for my decaf coffee then too...

At 6 years and 6 months post-op I still have the occasional protein shake to supplement especially on days that I am on the run and can't get to a sit down meal.  I run and exercise a lot and would occasionally come home and realize that my intake is not up to par ... if there is nothing in the house that appeals to me at the moment I would take my magic bullet and fill with ice, a scoop of whey vanilla protein powder, half a packet of orange flavored powder drink (I rather Great Value cheaper brand than Crystal Light which grosses me out after my DD poured some in my Golytely drink when I was hospitalized for a GI bleed months before my surgery and I have not recovered from the horrific trauma drinking that stuff yet LOL) ... I then add a cup of water and blend in my bullet for an awesome orange julius drink ... you can even add some milk to it if you so desire...

With the chocolate protein whey who can put a scoop in a cup ,,, add a bit of water ... a pinch of margarine ... sweeten or not to taste ... ad a 1/4 cup of water and stick in the microwave on high for 3-4 mins and have an AWESOME protein cake-shake or an awesome protein cake in a cup ... I usually take a teaspoon of cook whip or whipped cream and top it with ... do die for ... search this site for the protein cake/shake recipe... I found it on here as it was shared by a DS'er...

You can also add fruit (blueberries/strawberries) to a scoop of protein powder... add water and blend for an awesome shake.

Get creative and keep trying.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

mnapers
on 8/16/13 5:42 am - NJ

Honestly, I drink my vanilla protein powder in my coffee, and it's a 32 oz cup so it takes me all morning.  I have no problem with it and actually miss it when I don't have it that way.  To me it tastes like a flavored coffee.  I'm going on 3 years in a few months and have one every day.  Atkins protein bars are my favorite.   Also Doctor's Carb Rite coconut.  The rest upset my stomach. 

ALESIA1966
on 8/16/13 7:19 am - New Bern, NC

I found it was not actually the taste of the protein shake, it is pretty well disguised when you add alot of other little flavors - it was the smell, the smell is what made it taste "not right"...I got over it by using a tupperware cup with a lid and drank it thru a straw...Alot of surgeons are not to keen on the straw thing, mine compromised the straw was better than not getting enough protein :-)

Might work for you too

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

Susan R.
on 8/16/13 7:46 am - Harriman, TN
DS on 07/23/13

I am almost 4 weeks out from DS, and my surgeon requires full liquids for the first 4 weeks.  My favorite protein shakes are Unjury Strawberry Sorbet mixed with Crystal Light lemonade, Syntrax Nectar Cappucino, and Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie.  Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 8:26 am

I hated protein shakes immediately post op too --  vanilla Chai tea by Bolthouse farms ( a fresh made one available in the drinks section of the produce aisle in high-end grocery stores ) was all I could keep down for a while due to persistent nausea .  

Protein tea and coffee saved ME lol ... I craved the caffeine  more than I skeeved the proteiny taste .  I used a scoop of Isopure banana cream powder to make  these mixing in a " bullet " mixer with a bit of  water , then pouring into  acup and adding  hot coffee or chai tea on top .

((((()))))))

Most Active