Starting with weight loss tomorrow

zzobe
on 8/22/13 12:32 pm

I had an appt. with my internist today and told her of my decision to have surgery. She supports this. All of my doctors do. My BMI is 36 I believe. I meet with the surgeon in two weeks. But I'm starting the weight loss part now, tomorrow will be day 1. I know all about healthy eating but am looking for some words of advice, helping advice for this very beginning step, etc. I go to my doctor every 4 months and I'm still gaining weight. I gained 6 pounds in the last four months. I really cut back on sugar (except for last week on vacation) and did not expect this at all. I know I need to exercise. My doctor wants me to swim every day if possible. I'd appreciate all your input on this. Helpful hints please! Thanks in advance. 

mkvand
on 8/22/13 6:37 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

This probably sounds weird, but try not to lose too much weight in the next few weeks.  The guidelines for surgery are BMI over 40 or over 35 with co morbidities.  If you're at 36 and you lose too much, you may not qualify for the surgery.

zzobe
on 8/23/13 1:16 am

Whoops, I put down the wrong BMI. I am 5'4" and 270 lb. My BMI is 46. 

MsBatt
on 8/23/13 1:19 am

Yep, try to keep your BMI above 35. Do you have any co-morbs, such as diabetes, high cholesterol, asthma, GERD, arthritis, high BP, sleep apnea? Some insurance companies require you to have two co-morbs if your BMI is between 35 and 40.

Also, now's the time you need to be researching ALL FOUR FORMS of WLS. Unless you understand them all, you really can't make an informed decision about which one would be best for you.

Member Services
on 8/23/13 2:02 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and weight loss journey.  Be sure and check out OH's home page, with great articles, blog entries, before and after photos and much more.   ​​ Here are some Weight Loss Surgery Resources.

About Obesity

About Weight Loss Surgery

Medical Necessity

Post-op Planner

BMI Calculator

Health Tracker

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/

If you need any further assistance, please let us know at [email protected]

Regards,

Member Services

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/13 9:56 pm
On August 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM Pacific Time, Member Services wrote:

Congratulations on taking control of your life and weight loss journey.  Be sure and check out OH's home page, with great articles, blog entries, before and after photos and much more.   ​​ Here are some Weight Loss Surgery Resources.

About Obesity

About Weight Loss Surgery

Medical Necessity

Post-op Planner

BMI Calculator

Health Tracker

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/

If you need any further assistance, please let us know at [email protected]

Regards,

Member Services

you must be going through some serious health problem and before it becomes so deep, get a check up done and visit weight loss surgeon for further precautions to be done to avoid weight gain which might result into serious thread.

Missella20
on 8/23/13 3:17 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Well when I met with the dietician at the beginning of my process the first thing that he told me to do was focus on protein. He suggested eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast or weight control oatmeal (has more protein). Yogurt, cheese sticks, fruit, protein shakes for lunch and snacks...oh and nuts. And lean protein and veggies for dinner. Also he said to cut out white breads, sugars, white potato, sweets. And pasta and white rice. Good luck!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/13 1:57 am

Nothing in this world feels as good as improving your health on your own. These five suggestions will help you lose weight, get healthier.

1.) Eat half of your dinner and go to bed a little hungry.

2.) Only eat un-processed foods for the whole day. This is actually a tough one, even for me. It's good to give this one an honest try here and there. The efforts and the results are worth experiencing.

3.) Complete two separate workouts in a day and stretch for 5-10 min after each one. They don't have to be long workouts; a 25-minute workout with a five-minute stretch will do the trick.

4.) Do not drink your calories, but do have plenty of "non" or low-calorie liquids like water, tea, and green juices (I like to add lemon and ginger to my green juices).

5.) Decide to have a simpler day and focus on your own health. Plan ahead for your eating, exercising and maybe something else for yourself like some extra time to read, get your nails done or buy a new pair of socks and underwear. Try to not over-think it but make sure the day feels like it is skewed toward you.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1466 views