Hair Loss & Wigs

VickyBT
on 8/31/13 1:53 am - MI

I posted a current pic of my very thin hair on my blog here.  I already had chronic hair loss issues before surgery.
I did lose quite a bit of hair post-op.  It did re-grow to a certain degree but in my case of on going hair loss its pretty bad now and so I've resorted to wearing wigs, bandanas, and caps/hats when I go out.  I've found a brand ("Estetica" although I'm sure theres others) of wigs I really like that are light weight, very open mesh cap and look natural. I can tell from people comments and reactions (VERY excited) when they learn I'm wearing a wig how nice they look.  They go on and on how they had no idea I'm wearing a wig and how it makes me look 10 years younger and I must agree because when I take off my wig its like YIKES! 

Here's some tips on getting a good wig.

Look for "lace front" wigs that have natural looking parts and hairlines in the front.
That really throws people off into not knowing its a wig.
Monofiliment tops look more natural as well.
Wig colors that are highlighted make them look more natural vs. one solid stark color.
They even have darker rooted wigs to make it look like you have highlighted hair and you can see the regrow.
You can even get multi tones grey wigs.
Don't be afraid to get modern synthetic wigs.
They are much more easy to care for and no styling ever...just wash them and once dried and combed
they go back to the style they were.  They look and feel like real hair!
Wigs can be trimmed and thinned if they need a little tweeking but make sure to have a person experienced with trimming wigs do this for you.

Try wigs on at a local wig shop before buying online.
Once you find the brand and style you like you can get them much more reasonably priced online although not all vendors will allow for returns but www.e-wigs.com does (for a restocking fee)
and has great customer service and wigs priced 50% or more off retail.
I paid $350. for my first wig from a local wig shop and paid $122. for the same exact brand and style wig via e-wigs.

At first I was very apprehensive about wearing wigs but now I rather enjoy it and have 4 wigs.
No more bad hairs days and fussing with my hair with tons of product trying and make it look good,
only to have it flop within a very short time especially if its humid or raining.
Now no more worries...I just pop my wig on and I'm good to go!  Love it!
Hope this helps.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Valerie G.
on 8/31/13 1:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have a friend who's hair took a very long time to regenerate and started enjoying wigs.  She settled with the cutest short cut, but I think she still has fun with her wigs from time to time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

VickyBT
on 8/31/13 6:08 am - MI
withHishelp
on 8/31/13 4:02 am

My hair has gotten thinner over the past few years so if I do have the surgery I am sure I'll need a wig!! I just checked out the ewigs.com site and they have some nice ones. I don't know how to exactly tell the colors they offer. I see them but I wish they gave them a name rather than just the picture. I have medium brown hair with some highlights. I see about five colors that "might" be it but I really can't tell.

VickyBT
on 8/31/13 6:13 am - MI
On August 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, withHishelp wrote:

My hair has gotten thinner over the past few years so if I do have the surgery I am sure I'll need a wig!! I just checked out the ewigs.com site and they have some nice ones. I don't know how to exactly tell the colors they offer. I see them but I wish they gave them a name rather than just the picture. I have medium brown hair with some highlights. I see about five colors that "might" be it but I really can't tell.

You can order color sample rings from e-wigs for a deposit then they refund your deposit when you return the color sample ring. Call their 800 number for details

mmmesser
on 8/31/13 4:17 am

Thank you for this valuable info.  I definitely may need it.  I have slightly thin hair and can't imagine getting away with not having some loss as part of the recovery process.

Dorkgirl_41
on 8/31/13 7:36 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I appreciate the info as well. I have struggled with thinning hair for 20 years already so I'm anticipating the major loss since I'm post op. Thanks for posting this!

And you look beautiful, by the way! :)

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

VickyBT
on 8/31/13 7:47 am - MI

You gals are most welcome! kiss
Go get a wig or two and have some fun!
I'm so glad I finally got some

withHishelp
on 8/31/13 7:52 am
Thank you for the information on the color ring samples. Great idea!
VickyBT
on 8/31/13 8:01 am - MI

Also want to add... I felt a little awkward and self conscience when i started wearing wigs but now that i\I've gotten so many positive compliments and guys checking me out it no longer such a big ordeal.  Yeah, wish I had my own hair but you just do the best you can under the cir****tances. You'd be surprised to learn how many women wear wigs and extensions so don't be afraid to try one out but get a good quality one not a cheap one.  You will not believe how much younger and better you look with a good head of hair! enlightened

One more tip I forgot...you can glue wigs on to make them more secure but I just use flat hair clips and fasten one on each side above my ears and the wig stays on real good. If you are going to be doing a vigorous activity gluing might be advisable but I've never had to do it.
Most wigs have adjustable straps on the inside so you can adjust the tightness of the wig as well.  I have a big head so I just cut mine off. You can find a lot of helpful wig tips on You Tube.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1411 views