so tired of hearing

Amanda263
on 9/3/13 1:42 am

Everyone I know who has gotten surgery has gained the weight back! Everybody says it. i'm 2 weeks out give me a break.

Mo Diggity
on 9/3/13 2:12 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Well, I've noticed that the people who go back to old weight problems are the ones going back to old habits. I think we have more control over our own destinies ;) As long as we're strong enough !! lol 

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

hope123
on 9/3/13 3:14 am - MO

Yes, I was at my parents on Sunday who mentioned my sister-in-law who had this surgery around the year 2000, and she's now bigger then she's ever been (sad but true).  My parents also had to mention their nextdoor neighbor's daughter, who also gained back all of her weight (plus some), after having weight loss surgery (sad but true).  Sometimes you just need to steer clear of people who are Debbie Downers, and I've come to realize that you can't talk about this procedure or what you're going through with absolutely everyone.  Have a good friend or significant other you trust, and this board is a life saver!

Member Services
on 9/3/13 3:45 am - Irvine, CA

As every member will tell you the surgery is a tool. Unless you have a medical reason, as long as you live the rules of your new life not only will the weight come off it will stay off 

We look forward to following you and your success

MandaK31
on 9/3/13 4:28 am - NY

I am new here and have not had surgery yet but do know enough to tell you to always look up.... Surgery is for those who want a new healthier life and the weight will stay off.... Those that just want to be skinny but still do as they did before are the ones who gain the weight back... Nobody is perfect so if you slip a little and notice a few pounds came back on take action right away... The ones who dont are the ones who put the weight back on... You are like you not like everyone else just do what you need to for yourself and you will be fine... Manda :)

Patm
on 9/3/13 5:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It is the old saying. They rearrange our innards not our brain. If you do not deal with how you became over weight and go back to old habits you will have the same result as before and gain the weight.

Bette B.
on 9/3/13 5:32 am

Almost ten years out from band surgery and maintaining a 170+-pound loss. How's that? 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Robin M.
on 9/3/13 5:56 am - Biloxi, MS
VSG on 09/12/13
I have been told that too. My surgery is next week and I have taken the six months my insurance company made me wait and worked on retraining myself on how to live a healthier life. Good luck and congrats on your surgery. We will show them!!
TeacherSue
on 9/3/13 6:11 am - Collinsville, IL

Here's the thing...we can gain the weight back on any plan we use to lose weight, not just this one.  We've all done it...dieted, lost weight, and gained it back.  Surgery has nothing to do with gaining the weight back.  If we don't change how we feel and deal with food, yes, we'll probably gain it back...no matter how we lose it.

hollykim
on 9/3/13 6:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Prove them wrong. That will be the end of the discussion. GL

Most Active