Can I do anything to help my stomach and thigh skin deal after surgery?

naths_toronto
on 9/4/13 12:47 pm - Canada

I am just wondering if anyone has used a cream ( like vitamin e) or something to make skin more elastic prior to surgery and if I can help myself in some way.  I am 33 and mostly all my fat is in my stomach.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you, N

Ladytazz
on 9/4/13 3:49 pm

Sadly, unless you won the genetics jackpot, you will probably have saggy skin to show for your weight loss.  There isn't anything you can really do to prevent it, although some will give you some wacky advice, I haven't seen anything really effective or none of us would have saggy skin.  If it is really bad you can always have reconstructive surgery.  It is expensive, although there is an excellent plastic surgeon in Mexico who is known for superb work and you can make a vacation out of it and the cost is amazing.  It still isn't cheap but really not that much more then the cost of a new car these days and it certainly lasts longer then a new car.  If it's a priority you can start saving now.

I always heard that losing slower can help the skin bounce back but I don't know if that is true.  Some do get lucky and just don't have much loose skin at all.  Have you had a large weight loss before?  That should give you an idea of what to expect.  I had my first major weight loss at 20, losing over 80 lbs and I wasn't prepared at all for the loose skin.  No one told me and I thought I just needed to lose more weight.  I really had the vision of losing weight and looking like they do on tv.  Now, 35 years later I know better, especially after losing and gaining large amounts of weight more times then I can count and then regaining it back plus more.  I was able to have a panniculectomy (the "apron" of skin on the lower of stomach removed) and it helped a great deal, but of course in place of loose skin I know have scars.  Looks good in clothes but out of clothes not so good.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Tracy D.
on 9/4/13 11:33 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's the thing:  if you have stretch marks in those areas, the skin isn't going to "bounce back" and all the cream in the world won't make it happen.   It will make your skin look a little smoother but it won't make it tighter.  However, if you are young, have minimal stretch marks, have a darker complexion, have greasier skin overall, you may get more bounce back than someone like me.  Unfortunately I am older, very pale with dry skin.  Noooooo bounce back for this girl :-(

I would encourage you to do what you can do strengthen all the underlying muscles NOW before surgery.  That's the best thing you can do for yourself.  Build up as much muscle tone as you can now (because it's a lot harder after surgery to build muscle) and then be a faithful exerciser post-op when you're cleared to begin vigorous activity. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bibo
on 9/5/13 12:05 am
I use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. It cant prevent excessively sagging folds of skin, but it can help with srretch marks,, surgical scars, dryness and some bounce back. Pure vitamins in those and no chemicals added. My mds are always amazed at my skin, how fast it heals and how firm it is. I have some sag, but not much. Aloe vera gel is good too.

naths_toronto
on 9/5/13 1:44 am - Canada

Thank you so much for the kind replies.. Going hit the gym for some crunch time and get some olive oil.  My bf is going to think he's gettin' lucky 

Zee Starrlite
on 9/5/13 2:07 am, edited 9/5/13 2:08 am

With a BMI of 52 and most of the fat as you say in your stomach you can stay acceptably saggy or get a tummy tuck somewhere down the line.  No matter though, you will be happy with all the excess weight off of you.

Would it hurt to love your skin and rub it down with some nice moisturizer - heck no!  If you like cocoa/ shea/ vit e etc. try the palmers pregnancy and weight loss lines.  I did and I still love being in touch with my body and giving it love.  My body after all has carried me through it all.

Oh and for the scars it is the rubbing that makes the skin tissue better not the oils specificallty.

All best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Valerie G.
on 9/5/13 6:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are absolutely no magical creams, lotions or exercises to prevent sagging skin.  There is a smidgeon of shrinking after a couple of years, but nothing miraculous, I assure you.  I found I can create a fantastic illusion with lycra undergarments, but that's about it.  Save your money for plastic surgery once your weight has stablized about 6 months.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active