Why did you decide on the type of surgery that you had?

zzobe
on 9/6/13 8:17 am

I'm in the beginning stages of all this. My doctor asked me which surgery I was interested in. It's between the sleeve and the by-pass. I would love to hear from everyone. It doesn't make any difference which surgery you had. But what made you have the type of surgery that you did? Thanks.

southernlady5464
on 9/6/13 8:41 am

You do realize there are more options than JUST those two?

1) The Lap Band which I would not recommend to an enemy.

2) The sleeve (VSG) which is becoming the most popular restrictive only surgery.

3) The RNY which is considered the gold standard.

4) The DS (Duodenal Switch) and is the PLATINUM surgery. (more info can be found at DSFacts)

Why do you want surgery and what do you expect out of it.

I chose the DS because:

• I needed the malabsorption.
  • I needed to be able to take NSAIDS (can not with the RNY).
  • I wanted the BEST resolution for Diabetes.
  • I wanted the least chance of regain.

Read ALL the boards. Read the Regrets and the Revision boards. And be HONEST with yourself.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Cindyta
on 9/6/13 10:13 am

Hi Liz, I have a question on you comment you said that you do not recommend the Lap Band not even to your enemy, so why is that... did you had a bad experience with it? I have a friend that just had Lap Band 3 days ago... she had done first the Gastric Plication which did not work for long to her, but she did not wanted to have her stomach cut I suggested the Gastric Sleeve but she refused to do it so she did the Lap Band... was this a bad idea? thanks,

Cindy 

southernlady5464
on 9/6/13 10:48 am

Cindy, my ONLY surgery was the DS (think twice, cut one). I personally have not had a bad experience with the lap band but then again, I did not even WANT it. And my PCP would not have written my letter to get WLS if I HAD wanted it.

The maker of the Lap Band even admits it is not designed to last any longer than 10 years. Has the highest regain of any surgery and can cause severe esophageal issues.

So rather than losing the part of her stomach that causes hunger, your friend decided to put a foreign body around the top?

I honestly hope it works for her but the failure rate is extremely high.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Hislady
on 9/6/13 2:54 pm, edited 9/6/13 2:55 pm - Vancouver, WA

Cindy  I do have the band and it is a total cruel joke for most of us, its failure rate is ridiculously high, I only lost 20 lbs. and the plication is even worse and more dangerous. I would bet money your friend will end up with yet another surgery because those 2 should never be done. I was only offered the band because of other health issues and if I'd know 6 yrs ago what a waste it was I never would have gone ahead with it. The manufacturer flat out lied about it when I got it and now they admit they lied and are being investigated by the government for lying about the effectiveness of it. So your friend is only looking at more heart ache and I might add she needs to find another better surgeon who will only do proven successful surgeries not one looking to make money by putting her thru as many surgeries as either she or her insurance will pay for,

Valerie G.
on 9/6/13 11:03 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
There have been so many problems with the LapBand that there is a forum dedicated to them. This "less invasive" procedure not only yields minimal results, but has created some nightmares to the patients, from emergency surgeries due to slippage, to the band eroding into the stomach and the stomach has to be butchered apart to get it out of the body. These people are left with partial stomachs and loads of scar tissue that can cause more problems down the line. I'm so happy the VSG is taking over the need for restrictive-only surgeries.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 9/6/13 11:06 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
OH is acting squirrely so I cannot edit my last post in reply, but I wanted to add that when I worked with Siemens IT Solutions and Services, even though UHC covers LapBand, that Siemens insisted that they exclude the LapBand as an option because of the problems it caused on so many employees. That says a LOT.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/6/13 9:15 am

I'm a girl who like science, and loves studies and numbers and statistics. The DS was a no-brainer for me.

I chose the surgery that studies show the best weight loss, best maintenance of that loss, and the best resolution of co-morbidities. I was also scared of some of the possibilities with gastric bypass like dumping syndrome, reactive hypoglycemia, and the regain rate. I learned the DS was the most forgiving regarding food choices, and would help me succeed despite some poor choices and stumbles. I wanted the least chance for a second weight loss surgery.

You are wise to research the surgeries first. A little research can save you many regrets.

LadyLilMax
on 9/6/13 9:30 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

I had a BMI of 41 so I was considered a lightweight which is hilarious to me. 

My surgeon suggested the RNY for me because of my GERD.  The sleeve will aggravate GERD so the RNY is the choice.  

I would have loved to have the DS but none of the surgeons here will do it unless you have a BMI of 50 + and my insurance would not pay for the DS unless I was a BMI of 50.  

I had RNY almost 9 months ago and I am thrilled with the results and the journey.  No complications, weight loss of 90 lbs and feeling fit and frisky which is good for an old lady!

RESEARCH, READ and EDUCATE yourself and talk to your surgeon and get answers to your questions!

God bless and let us know what you choose!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

southernlady5464
on 9/6/13 10:49 am

My BMI was 35.2 going in and I still had the DS...

Come join us on the LW board: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1422 views