Hysterectomy after RNY. Your experience.

Strjen
on 9/15/13 2:40 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

So I've come to the long, hard & emotional decision to have a hysterectomy as I have fibroid tumors that are causing me a lot of pain & heavy heavy bleeding. My husband had a vasectomy almost 12 years ago so us having more children is not happening & I'm tired of the pain & having to change my super plus tampon & pad every 15 minutes the first 5 days of my period is awful. I have tried the cervical cups & bleed through those in an hour or two. Sorry for all the TMI, just explaining what I'm going through. They have me on Tramadol which does not work very well for me. Just curious what some of your experiences are with hysterectomy after RNY or before RNY & if there is anything that you have gone through that I might should be aware of.

I should note that I've had a PE in the past so I am not able to do any hormone treatments & I do not want to have an IUD inserted. I could go with the endometrial ablation, but I run the risk of it not working & I just want to be done with this & have one less thing to worry about. I've talked with those that have had the ablation done & some say they never had a period again & some that the lining grew back & it was just as bad as before.

My deductible is met for the year since I had hernia repair surgery back in January & I'm wanting to have it done before the end of the year.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Laura in Texas
on 9/15/13 3:06 am

I have not had a hysterectomy, but know many women who have. Many of them have severe sexual problems since their hysterectomy. Personally I would try everything I could before having one. Sex is very important to me.

This website has a lot of good information: http://www.hystersisters.com/ 

Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Strjen
on 9/15/13 3:14 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Thanks Laura! That is what my husband is worried about too. Thanks for the website.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

cajungirl
on 9/15/13 7:14 am
The site Laura posted is excellent. Yes you may find your desire for sex just isn't there. You need to talk to your GYN about this. It did change me, I have low testosterone though and that will impact your desire.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Amy T.
on 9/15/13 6:01 am - Labadieville, LA

I too was a heavy bleeder, but no other issues. I did have an ablation done.  Hysterectomy would've been a last resort. It's been a few years and barely have a period. Worked wonders for me. 

TeacherSue
on 9/15/13 7:57 am - Collinsville, IL

Oh my gosh, my hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did...never regretted one bit of it.  I didn't notice any sexual problems, but I think as we age things change anyway.  I was supposed to have it done through the vagina, but once she saw I was full of endometriosis, she had to open me up and take everything that way.  We had no idea I had it.  She said I must have a high pain threshold because I was in her top five of worse cases ever.

Anyway, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

sheryl69
on 9/15/13 8:32 am

omg. I had a hysterectomy in July and I'm still giving thanks for this medical miracle!  best thing I ever did!  haven't had any problems a all

it took awile and there were bumps on the road but i had my rny performed by dr jules foute nelong at guelph general hospital on september 16, 2013  

mrseveland
on 9/15/13 9:40 am

My hysterectomy/single oopherectomy in late 2007 was the BEST thing I ever did for my body!!!  I had fibroids, adenomyosis, horrible scar tissue from previous fibroid surgeries, etc., and it was AWFUL before I finally did it.  I never got to have kids (6 miscarriages) but it needed to go. Life has been so much simpler and pain-free, hassle-free since then. I was scared of the potential sexual problems, but luckily it has not affected me in that way at all.  

MrsEveland

Highest weight: 304     Surgery weight: 242     Goal weight: 140

JenniPenny
on 9/16/13 9:19 am - MN

I had a hysterectomy years ago and it was almost the best thing I ever did - the wls was the best . I had my hysterectomy vaginally so there was no stitches, drains or anything else. Just a big pad for a few days after. I was in the hospital 2 1/2 days. I was on pain meds after getting back to my room after surgery and the rest of that day. I got out of the hospital Wednesday, went car shopping Saturday (in and out of many vehicles) and was fine. I had mine because of intense hemoraghing every month and becomming anemic. My doc said if I'm not going to have any more kids (I was not) then to get rid of something that's a good petri dish for growing cancer cells later. I am happy I did it, sex is still the same or better, no more monthly problems, no more bleeding through everything and no more worry about cervical or uterine cancer. I lost a bit of weight when I had it done - no more bloating and retaining fluids and able to move and exercise every day of the month instead of taking it easy one week every month. It's the best thiing I did - wish I had done it sooner. I was able to be more active because I didn't have periods anymore. I highly recommend it. I've had many friends who had the ablation-none are happy with it - one is worse as the tissue grew back with scar tissue, another has heavier and longer periods after the ablation, one has no relief after the ablation, and another had the ablation, no period for 3 months and now it's back with a vengance. From their standpoint it doesn't work and it's another surgical procedure to go through. I'd do the hysterectomy and be done with it and the worry forever.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

Most Active