Not able to exercise after WL surgery due to another surgery?

LessofRaven
on 9/18/13 8:35 am - San Jose , CA
VSG on 09/24/14

So I'm pretty nervous about this and was wondering if anyone else had had the same experience?  I am Scheduled for the WL surgery in Nov and then I'm having the first of 2 knee surgeries in January. This will leave me off my feet for a month and in a brace for 3. I'll be doing PT and after 6 weeks swimming hopefully but it is a long recovery. After the recovery of the 1st knee is over im going in for the 2nd. How much will this effect my WL?

Sleeved! 9/24/2014 by Dr. Bhoyrul  SW: 265  CW:253

First Goal 10% (238.5) , Second Goal 25% (198.5), Finish line (150)  

Hislady
on 9/18/13 10:59 am - Vancouver, WA

I've had a bunch of surgeries and while I didn't always lose I usually didn't gain too much because I was working hard at PT. Even if you do gain look at it as a prep for your new life, you'll be able to do so much more after fixing your knees. So it may be a minor setback but you can make up for it once you are able to move better. You might be allowed to do water exercises or maybe a stationary bike. It's something to talk to your orthopedic surgeon about as to what and how much you'll be allowed to do. It doesn't have to be a stumbling block, it can be a stepping stone instead, good luck to you!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/18/13 12:07 pm - OH

Just curious about why you are not waiting several months (to give yourself some additional time to lose weight) to have your knees replaced?  I had arthroscopic knee surgery when I was about 300 pounds and the recovery from it was almost as bad as for the total knee replacement I had back in March at only 145 pounds.  To be honest, I would have been MISERABLE having a knee replaced and trying to do the PT while carrying all that extra weight.  My orthopedic surgeon won't do a knee replacement on someone more than 100 pounds overweight unless there are very extenuating cir****tances.

Being so immobile is certainly not going to help your weight loss, but it is definitely possible to lose weight without exercise.  You just have to be extra diligent about controlling how many calories you take in.  The worst part is that you will miss the opportunity to also get into the habit of getting some type of regular physical activity along with establishing your new eating habits, so it may be harder to implement the exercise down the road.  I know you didn't ask for advice, my i would recommend seriously reconsidering having the first knee done so soon after your WLS.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 9/19/13 1:47 am

Ten years ago they told me I needed both knees replaced, but that I was too heavy. So I had WLS instead, and I still haven't had to get my knees done. I'd put off the knee surgery until you've finished losing weight.

LessofRaven
on 9/22/13 7:12 am - San Jose , CA
VSG on 09/24/14

I have dislocating Patellas so the weight isn't causing the problem and weight loss wont make it better. I'll have to have the surgeries no matter what.

Sleeved! 9/24/2014 by Dr. Bhoyrul  SW: 265  CW:253

First Goal 10% (238.5) , Second Goal 25% (198.5), Finish line (150)  

mjd2013
on 9/24/13 12:47 pm

Hi,

I don't have any experience with either surgery, but I'm also facing both. I can only exercise in the pool (which I won't be able to do for several weeks post-surgery). I just moved from a cane to a walker because the pain is too much. I think I will be in a wheelchair before long. Like you, I know that I will need knee replacement after losing the weight because the knee injury is what caused the weight gain. I'm looking forward to moving forward.

The Arthritis Foundation has a free book available that lists many resources for exercising differently and with physical limitations. There were also some websites in the handbook my surgeon's office provided.

I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgeries. Try not to get discouraged. It seems that so many people (even in the medical community) lose sight of the fact that all of us just don't have the mobility and agility to do certain things any more.

MJ

Most Active