Pain Reliever? for RNY Members

sharon13
on 9/19/13 7:52 pm - PA

With the colder weather coming, the leg/hip/arm etc pain begins, my bones are so cold they hurt.  Does anyone know anything we can take besides Tylenol?  I should have asked this question at my last visit because I knew it was coming.  I use to take Ibuprofen (4 at a time) but know I can no longer do this.  I had been told in the past that I have Fibro and Arthritis but have never taken any prescription meds because I could manage the pain with Ibuprofen.  But Tylenol just doesn't cut it for me.  

Thanks for any help or advice any of you can offer

Highest Weight 303   Pre Surgery 278   Date of Surgery 4/3/2013

poet_kelly
on 9/19/13 10:38 pm - OH

We can take narcotics, like Vicodin, or non-narcotic prescription meds like Tramadol.  Some people use antidepressants like Cymbalta for things like fibro, too, which help relieve chronic pain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 9/20/13 8:57 am

Ask your doctor about pain patches. I use one called Lido-Derm, and it helps some. So does a good soak in a hot bath. And my electric blanket is my best friend!

averybyrd
on 9/21/13 1:21 am

My surgeon had no good answer to this (well, not one that I wanted to hear). I don't have any chronic pain issues, but I am allergic to Tylenol, which leaves me with narcotics as pretty much the only things I can take if I twist and ankle or pull a muscle or have a headache. As this seems extreme, I'm mostly hoping I don't end up in pain!

Hopefully someone has some ideas. I'll be watching with interest!

MsBatt
on 9/26/13 1:17 am

Just curious---since you're allergic to Tylenol, why did you choose a surgery that makes you unable to take NSAIDs? I mean, some pain in inevitable...

TurnThePage
on 9/21/13 3:28 am

I've had really good luck with Cymbalta for my severe arthritis. It also deals with the depression that often accompanies chronic pain.  Best I've felt in 20 years.

Carol S.
on 9/25/13 5:00 pm - Milwaukee, WI

Cybmalta is great for chronic pain.  

Some people have good luck with the supplements that reduce inflammation.

I love chiro's and Licenced Clinical Massage Therapists.  

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.