Low Protein menu question- not WLS related

huskerfan85
on 9/26/13 11:11 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Hi everyone, my mom had to have a kidney removed 5 years ago due to cancer.  She has been told to adjust her diet to a low protein one, I have Googled and keep getting conflicting ideas, so have any of you worked with a low protein diet, or know anyone who has that I can talk to?  Thanks everyone I appreciate any ideas you may have.

Gayle  6'2" 

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/13 12:43 pm

I eat what docs today call " low protein " every single day .   I simply don't LIKE most meats .or smelly fishes devil.. or " enhanced "dairy productz" so shoot me 

Here are MY  resultz.....labs WAYY above normal over almost 5 yearz post op .. I STILL hav ALL my  teeth  AND organz AND great posture kiss

mostly I eat what I grow in my garden ... and a few local chef-supply farmz  totally organic free  range animal poductz.  To be otally honest .. my ( ancient but thriving kindey-challenged  dwarf CAT )  eats far more  meat than I do.  I BUY the protein then totally SKEEVE it and feedit to HIM .

cajungirl
on 9/27/13 12:20 pm
Would you use correct spelling sometimes? It would add a little credit to your intelligence.

My kids spell and use proper language better than this even in text messages.

Maybe I should just block you for my own sanity if this is always going to be your normal.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

chipmunk_roasting
on 9/28/13 8:04 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

I'm going to block her -- it's just too painful to watch.

:)

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Maggie May
on 9/27/13 3:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

Wow, I can't make headz or tailz out of this ridiculous post. Do you always type and spell this way? 

Maggie May 

mustlovepoodles
on 9/26/13 1:03 pm
VSG on 12/31/13

Maybe you could make an appointment with a nutritionist?

Mary Catherine
on 9/27/13 12:53 am
A low protein diet is the opposite of what we eat. Her meal might consist of a tiny amount of meat surrounded by bread, vegetables, low protein pasta, potatoes, or rice. A Subway sandwich for us might be all the meat with a bit of lettuce in a bowl instead of on bread, where hers would be a veggie sandwich with lots of bread and all types of vegetables.

Check out the website of the National Kidney foundation for meal plans and ideas.
kellyg2013
on 9/27/13 11:41 pm
Myhealthytreats.com has a section where you can ask a registered dietitian for tips. That may help. Goodluck!
KathyA999
on 9/28/13 4:37 am

Look into vegetarian diets.  She doesn't have to go completely vegetarian, but those sites, books, etc., will have good info about how to combine foods to get all the amino acids (I think there are 17?) that we normally get from animal protein.  Things like rice-and-beans, cereal-and-milk, etc.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active