Not all weight loss is created equally...insight and thoughts welcomed

Mark W.
on 9/30/13 3:11 am - belle plaine, MN

Prior to surgery, I gained the knowledge that most people lose 50 % muscle and 50% fat as the composition of their total weight loss. I am really uncomfortable with this percentage. I have truly busted my butt in the gym 6 days a week for SOME time to lose almost 80 pounds this year already. I've gained 44 pounds of lean muscle mass this year and don't plan on losing an oz of it if I can help it. 

I've been spot on with my 80 oz of protein intake daily as well as my required 64 oz + of water. I haven't been able to workout again since my surgery 3 weeks ago today and cannot wait to do so. I realize that I won't be able to actually eat the amount of lean protein my body will require to maintain my muscle mass or even increase it and am okay with using protein shakes as a supplement. I also had a hernia repair done the same time as my RNY procedure so I have that I am dealing with as well.

My concern really is has anyone experienced a means to minimize the loss of lean body mass? I cannot say that losing 100 pounds and having myself look like a skinny guy in a skin suit doesn't terrify me. I also am realistic that there is going to be some lose skin but the least amount possible would be greatly preferred. 

Any insight any of you wonderful people have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance for your time.

~ Mark

swtmelissa
on 9/30/13 4:42 am - West Allis, WI

Hi Mark,

I am not sure how you can balance this out at first.  I will say at first that was typical for me as well.  Since I have started working out and consuming more protein I have added some muscle weight.  I think after some time it is something you can build back but during the initial stages not sure that this is avoidable?  My opinion and experience but I could be wrong.

Good Luck!

Mark W.
on 9/30/13 4:50 am - belle plaine, MN

Thank you SO much for your insight! I am sure you're right with all of it. I've been really trying to make sure to focus on my protein intake and agree that once I am able to finally get back to the gym, everything will take care of itself. 

I've read that so many people have lost their weight without working out or strength training and perhaps that's why the percentage is SO high. Like I mentioned, I am totally cool not being super skinny. I'd rather weigh in at a lower percentage body fat then a lower weight on the scale. 

~ Mark

Tracy D.
on 9/30/13 6:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Mark - the most accurate method to calculate your current body fat percentage is to go have hydrostatic weighing done (underwater weighing).  I just had it done and WISH I had done it prior to the surgery so I had something to compare to.   It will tell you precisely how much lean body mass you have now.  And then you can go back in 3 months after surgery and do it again...and keep doing that.   My local college's exercise physiology dept. does it for only $40.  If you live in a major metro area, I'm sure you can find a place that does it.  It's the gold standard. 

I've only got about another 20 lbs. to lose before I hit the 25% body fat mark, but the stupid BMI charts says I need to lose another 26 to get in the top range of "normal" BMI.  Bah, humbug on the BMI chart!  I'm with you - I'd much rather be at a healthy body fat percentage. 

I'm told that lifting combined with low-intensity cardio and protein of 100 grams per day or more is the best way to retain as much muscle as possible during this super-low calorie period of weight loss.   Best of luck to you!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dragonryder2
on 10/6/13 6:50 am - NM

I would think keeping your protein intake as high as possible and starting with LIGHT weights to just stay toned would really help.  I know I lost muscle, but I'm still driving a 1949 American/La France Fire Engine on a Hot Air balloon chase that none of the men want to drive, but it doesn't have power steering, etc.  So I still have muscle, just lots of empty skin that no matter what I do I can't get enough muscle to fill it up.  I'm to old.

Most Active