10 days post op

RoMoFo
on 9/29/13 12:49 pm
VSG on 09/19/13

I don't know if any of you have dealt with what I'm going through.  Feeling like odd man out when everyone is eating and you are just sitting there imaging you could.  It's a horrible feeling that I have been struggling with and when people say they feel guilty because I can't eat too I tell them that I chose this, so don't feel bad.  I try to remember all the reasons why I chose surgery and it doesn't help the not feeling like everyone else part.  I have been ugly, have had an attitude, and just flat out *****y to my fiancée who doesn't deserve it and I feel like I can't control it.  It's ridiculous I know but this full liquid business is for the birds.  I haven't cheated and am keeping to that but I'm so tired of it that I'd rather have nothing than have another taste of blended soup.  I'm trying to make myself and its not working out.  I'm going to get some chocolate premier protein shakes to try but I feel like I'm losing control and just not getting enough calories in.  I don't need anyone's negativity right now but any advice would be great.  

Thanks

Member Services
on 9/29/13 1:12 pm - Irvine, CA

You are not alone.  Missing food can be overwhelming at times.  Here is a link to some threads by members who posted similar feelings.  Read what they had to say and the responses by other members who have been where you are now.  Don't give up, the rewards will come, you did this for a reason and you can get through this part of the journey.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=missin g+food&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

We are here for you!

TurnThePage
on 9/29/13 2:41 pm

The first couple of weeks can be hard, but when I think of all the months and years I struggled with my weight, a few bumpy weeks seems like a very small price to pay. The saving grace is that it is just for a few weeks and it goes by faster with each passing day.  

Your friends will quickly adapt to your new eating style and not even notice what you are eating. Your task is to get healthy for a lifetime, not to conform for a day.   Don't give a thought to your calorie intake at this stage--this process is totally unlike the diets you were used to and calories really don't matter right now. Just focus on meeting your protein and fluid requirements and the rest will take care of itself, at least for the first 6 weeks.

Another 10 days and the scale will be moving and your clothes will start to feel baggy and you are going to be thrilled you made the decision to take control of your health and your life!  Hang in there.

Landrain
on 9/29/13 11:21 pm - Youngstown, OH
RNY on 09/26/13
I am on Day 4, and fortunately have not had to sit to dinner with everyone else yet. I am sure it will be a great challenge. I can only imagine, that I will have to stay strong and have faith. I chose this, you chose this also, we all have our reasons. Mine is that without this change in my life, I know that I would not be here much longer. That while I could have kept enjoying food and live out my days 'fat', but that being free from food, will make me much happier for much longer. You can do this, I can do this. It will get better...

Although, I never really noticed how many commercials are on tv for food... Wow.. I am so thankful for DVR's and fast forward/skip.

Keep the Faith.

Wendi0209
on 9/30/13 3:08 am
RNY on 09/13/13

I had to stop looking at facebook for about a week because it seems like all my friends do is post recipes. Not healthy recipes either. I'm only 17 days post-op but it has already become easier for me. I wish you good luck on this journey. I know it will be worth it.

Roo33
on 9/30/13 5:02 am - OH

I am 15 days post op and find your post refreshing!! I too have been down right sad and even angry a time or two since surgery! Why can everyone else eat what they want and not me? I totally get it! you know what I keep telling myself. Over eating is my problem and they have a diffrent set of problems than me. Its up to me to take on mine and them to take on theirs. So maybe theres no sloppy nachos in my future at my daughters games that a skinny mom was eating but ya know what?! There was no pack of cigs in my purse either(and there was in hers)! Also remember skinnyy dosent equal healthy. We chose this because we wanted to be thinner AND HEALTHY!! Eating garbage will get us neither!! Good Luck!! We are gonna be ok girl!!

swtmelissa
on 9/30/13 11:01 am - West Allis, WI

Don't feel bad!!! I went through a similar experience as well, it is frustrating.  I can say, I think I went through withdrawls.  There were times I would be so frustrated that I cried! I would also watch the food network all the time, and for a while had dreams about eating! It is a major lifestyle change and it does take some time to adjust to that and it isn't easy.  You will get past this (especially once you start loosing)  It is hard especially around the holidays when everyone else is loading up their plate and you cant!  But its ok, the payoffs are so worth it!  I can speak from experience, it took me some time to get through that.  

I have a confession to make... I once went to McDonalds pretty early on (few months out), and thought I could just chew the food and spit it out (yeah I know, it was terrible) but I was emotionally eating, I wasn't hungry and knew I couldn't do it, but I was going through a really rough time, I was pretty miserable, and thought I could just chew and spit.  Didn't work so well! I ended up swallowing a bit on accident, and I was so incredibly sick! To this day I will not go near a McDonalds!  Point being, sometimes it takes our minds a little bit to catch up to what our body is going through.. I think it is only natural.  Hang in there.  You will be out of that stage before you know it, and looking fabulous!  Take a deep breath and do something to keep yourself busy while they are eating if you can.  It will help to take your mind off of things. :) 

Most Active