Research Articles

bdaycakegirl
on 10/6/13 10:11 am

Where do you go to find research on different WLS procedures and doctors? All I do is google and get mini articles or forums. I want legitimate peer reviewed studies, etc. I don't know how to find that stuff.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/6/13 10:15 am - OH

I personally have access to journals through a university (at least for now), but if you do a Google search and specify "study" as part of the search, it will often bring back links for peer reviewed studies. Often, it is just the abstract for the article (and you have to pay for the full article), nut sometimes the full text is available for free.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/6/13 11:04 am

Thanks! I've already found out so much more!

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

TurnThePage
on 10/6/13 1:13 pm

The ASMBS.org website has many articles and links you will likely find useful. Yesterday I printed out post-op guidelines and I think there were 3 pages of citations at the end of the article. You might also try websites tied to major research  hospitals like Johns Hopkins, Mayo, etc. Getting info on specific doctors is very difficult although there are websites like Health Grades that provide some information.  

Regarding my doctors qualification, I asked him questions at a group presentation about the number and type of bariatric procedures performed in his career, special training, etc. He was a bit surprised I asked follow up questions, but was good natured about it. Surgeons seem to have strong egos, so not all will appreciate the inquiries. I also asked my  PCP to make discreet inquiries about him, which she did. I was fortunate to find a surgeon who has done about 6,000 WLS, about half of which were RNYs. 

Good luck with your research.

Most Active