Help

Joni Fogel
on 10/7/13 3:39 pm - PA
RNY on 10/15/12

I haven't been on here in a while.

I wanted to hit my goal of 150 lbs. But had much stress the last couple of months that I think I stretched my stomach out. Can that actually happen?   I haven't drank any protein shakes lately because the taste makes me nauseas. My bariversary is 10/15/13 I will be a year out. I don't feel full most of the time and I picked up the bad habit of drinking as I eat. My insurance copay are a little to much to afford rite now. So I haven't been to see Dr. El Chaar since January. I have been taking my vitamins. But hopefully can eventually get the feeling to want to exercise again.   I took a night shift position in march and since then I am always so tired and just want to sleep when I am home. I have now energy. Is there anyone having the same trouble?

Linda_S
on 10/7/13 4:30 pm - Eugene, OR

Joni - some of us never hit our goal weight.  I didn't but to tell you the truth, I was about 20 pounds lighter than I am now at my lightest weight since surgery and I didn't like the angular look to my face (plus you could see the wrinkles better! ;D)  Anyway, you probably have not stretched your stomach, but there is a good chance you have stretched the passage between your pouch and your small intestine.  That is a big possibility when you drink with your meals.  That is why they tell you not to do it.  Drinking while eating helps the food slide right on through that passage, making you feel as though you are not full and stretching that opening.  So - what to do?  Get a grip on yourself and go back to following your doctor's orders as he gave them to you for post surgery.  Chances are, if you spent the money on an appointment now, that is exactly what he would tell you.  Don't eat refined carbs, don't drink when you eat, take your supplements, get your exercise!  Be good to yourself and you'll be back on track in no time.

Best wishes!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

shoutjoy
on 10/7/13 9:13 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

Wouldn't it be great if weight loss surgery also fixed the mind?  Although it is a great tool, the real battle is in the mind.  If we equip ourselves with tools to recognize when those bad habits poke their ugly heads up and to have the power to exchange those bad habits for good ones, we have more power to overcome them.  You may want to seek more support from a Life Coach, through a nutritionist or even yoga.  Meditation is another form of support.  Are you attending a support group?  There are great webinars on the internet that focus on mindful eating.  If you go to http://eMindful.com, and other mindful sites, they can offer many awesome tools to strengthen your resolve and help you get back on track.

You are not alone.  People who battle weight go through the same things but at different levels.  Researchers are finding more and more that to be a healthy person, you have to work with the whole  body not just the stomach.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/13 8:13 pm

has your gastric surgeon given you some medication?

you do not have to worry about it.

Make sure you take medicines on time and consult the surgeon on regular interval.

MsBatt
on 10/7/13 10:59 pm

Mello, this post makes no sense. I see you just joined today, and it says you're learning about WLS. Your BMI seems to be mis-figured---with a BMI of 15 you'd be skeletally thin.

Vivian Prouty
on 10/7/13 10:23 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Joni....most insurance co. will cover a physical a year.    Call your bariatric surgeon's office and get them to give you a list of labs that need to be done.    Being tired all the time is a sign that some of your vitamins could be off.    STOP drinking and eating with your meals.   You are washing the food out of the pouch that is why they don't want you doing that.    It is hard to stretch the pouch but NOT impossible to do.   Hopefully that hasn't happened.   Try eating some chicken breast ( not larger than the palm of your hand ) & chew it to death like you did in the beginning.    If you feel satisfied ( NOT FULL ) then you probably haven't stretched your pouch...BTW...don't eat till you fill full or you are probably eating too much food.   Get your PCP to order your blood labs from the list from your bariatric surgeon.    For WLS to work....you do have to follow the rules to a "T" !!!   Also make your self at least get out of your house and walk.    That along with drinking your 64 oz. of fluids a day....it all works together.    Good luck to you and PLEASE get labs done.      You could be tired all the time due to labs being off...that is sometimes a very easy fix !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

MsBatt
on 10/7/13 10:56 pm

Come up with that co-pay and SEE YOUR DOCTOR. You should have had bloodwork done at least by six months post-op. It's very common for WLS patients to have trouble with iron, andf you may need infusions.

Joni Fogel
on 10/11/13 6:42 am - PA
RNY on 10/15/12
I did get my blood work done. I am low on vitamin D and calcuim. My tired all the time is due to working 11-7 shift like yesterday. Getting 3 hours of sleep bcuz of my 2 yr old who wants mommys attention nonstop. Lol. I am putting in for a dayshift position toay and hope I get it asap. I will get the copay and go for my follow up. Thank u to everyone who answered. Its nice to have ppl that understand what ur going thru since ur family doesnt.

Most Active