Flip Flopping

bdaycakegirl
on 10/13/13 5:29 am

I keep flip flopping on which surgery. I've read and read, thought and thought. And I just drive myself nuts.

I have done everything I need to do insurance wise, but can't decide. I have ANOTHER appointment with the surgeon to discuss it again, since I am so unsure. I feel like their are pros and cons to each, and can't decide! Not asking for advice or your reasons, just whining.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

kathkeb
on 10/13/13 5:52 am

I will just say that it helped me to go to one of my surgeons local WLS support groups and meet real people who were living with the different surgeries.

Good

Luck with your decision and eventual surgery.

Kath

Member Services
on 10/13/13 6:30 am - Irvine, CA

We are certain you will make the choice that is best for you.  Best wishes, we look forward to your next update.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/13/13 7:05 am
VSG on 10/09/12

There are pro's and con's to each surgery of course. What questions are you asking yourself? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

bdaycakegirl
on 10/13/13 7:28 am

I am just wanting to make sure I am successful.

On one hand, I want the sleeve. I feel like it will just make me eat less, I won't worry about food getting stuck, won't get sick, won't have to worry as much about vitamin deficiencies.  I think it will feel  normal to have a long stomach vs a tiny one up so high.   But then I think I should have RNY. I have diabetes, I want it gone, the faster weigh loss in the beginning  gives a better edge to lose all the weight. Yes, I know I can do all these things with sleeve, but I want the best odds. But then I worry I"ll eventually stretch my stoma or that I will get reactive hypoglycemia.  Also my surgeon is a RNY  fan, and so I know he will do a great job with it.  He can also preform the sleeve but he has done way more bypasses.  I just go back and forth all day long, and not knowing what I am going to do creates anxiety. I have always had this problem with major decisions, and will often defer to someone else such as my husband or a family member.  But since this is for my body, I MUST make this decision myself.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/13/13 7:56 am
VSG on 10/09/12

How long have you been diabetic? Is it controlled? Insulin or oral meds? Reason I am asking is that my surgeon and I discussed this very issue and he told me (I take his word for it ...maybe should have researched more on my own but I figure this is his job after all and he is very good at it so...) that the difference in diabetes remission between the sleeve and the RnY is about 10%. People who have not had it for years tend to do better regardless of the surgery option. Mine was gone (in remission) three days after surgery. The best option to resolve diabetes and to lose and maintain the loss long term is the DS. Have you looked into that at all? It does require a serious commitment in terms of follow up on your vitamins and supplements and checking your levels every three to six months. For me keeping my pyloric valve was really important as well as not messing with my intestines. If malabsorption was something I felt I needed I would have gone for the DS because the malabsorption of the bypass apparently only works for up to 2 years. I also had a similar fear of reactive hypoglycemia. When I was deciding I made a list of pro's and con's and attributed qualitative points to each item, in the plus and in the minus as well. It was interesting to look at it that way. So my reactive hypo risk got a lot of negative points. The pyloric valve preservation got a lot of plus points and so on. Based of course on what I was prepared to live with or not. If you need someone to bounce your thoughts off of, I am here. PM me if you want. Best of luck! Its a hard decision. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

bdaycakegirl
on 10/14/13 9:25 am

I am going to take this advice and list the pros and cons of each, and then score each anywhere from -5 as in  hate this part and +5 I love this part and see what my score is!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/14/13 4:54 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I'll be looking forward to your conclusions! I think it was the clincher for me when I saw it all listed in black and white and mathematical. The choice is also very emotional and you have to feel right about it but once you are sort of half way there with the feelings, the listing of the pro's and con's with scores can really make you turn the corner in your decision making process. Just try to have as complete a list as possible.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/15/13 3:12 am

WOW. I did it and there was a 13 point difference between the two in favor of RNY. Yet, I'm still not sold. My gut kinds of says VSG, whereas things in my mind say RNY.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/15/13 4:22 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Welllllll its a gut thing so go with your gut!

Most Active