Would you switch surgeries if you could?

bdaycakegirl
on 10/15/13 2:27 pm

Have you already had one WLS procedure and now wish you had another? Explain.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

shoutjoy
on 10/15/13 7:35 pm - Culpeper, VA

I hear a lot of people wish this and I wonder if it's because they let other people's opinions influence them, or was it based on actual research.  I know some insurances don't give many choices which is a bummer.  it is so unpredictable because everyone's experience is different and there is no way to know what your experience will be.  I do know that knowledge is power and to have that plus all your support systems in place, success is better. 

Are you one who wished you picked differently?

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

chris_ruff
on 10/15/13 10:52 pm
RNY on 04/07/09 with

I have an RNY and its been great for me. That said, I probably would have opted for the DS due to better overall statistics on long-term success, retaining the pyloric valve and ability to take NSAIDS.

--Christina
Jackie McGee
on 10/16/13 11:50 am - PA

Yes, and see Chris's response for my reason why.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/15/13 11:55 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Not now. But in five years, ask me again... maybe my experience will be different then.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

TXKashmir
on 10/16/13 12:02 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I had RNY five years ago, and am completely satisfied with my choice. It was the best option for me, and if I had it to do all over again, even being familiar with all the types, I would choose RNY every time. You have to research everything thoroughly to determine the best option for you, because everyone's different.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

cajungirl
on 10/16/13 1:39 am

I'm very happy with the RNY and my success.  Would I choose another IF I were researching today and starting out, YES because studies support the DS as the best for long-term success and ridding one of co-morbidities. 

I continue to cross my fingers that co-morbidities don't return, especially diabetes as current studies show a high percentage (about 1/3 if I recall) of those that were able to put their diabetes in remission after RNY are now dealing with this disease again (5+ years out, for some fewer years).

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MsBatt
on 10/16/13 2:18 am

Absolutely NOT! Of all the forms of WLS currently available, the DS is the very best one for me. Now, if they were to invent one where you could eat all the carbs you wanted with no weight gain...

Ladytazz
on 10/16/13 3:32 am, edited 10/16/13 9:07 am

The grass is always greener...I have had half of the popular surgeries out there and one thing I've finally figured out is no matter what surgery you have there are always benefits and negatives and it's important to research thoroughly and to be honest with yourself about what you can live with.  But in spite of what some may say, the surgery doesn't do the work, you do, much like a hammer can't do a damn thing if you don't pick it up and swing it.  I had a tool for a long time that I didn't use and now I have a tool that I do use.  I could have used to first tool had I known better but in spite of that I don't regret having a revision.  Whatever you got you can make the best of it and don't waste your time on things you can't change.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda. 

ETA I just realized that I have technically had 3 of the 4 most commonly done WLS.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/16/13 9:40 am

THIS is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150