No Sleeve Surgery- IS THIS A SIGN?

GigiT
on 12/2/13 2:39 am - TX

I was scheduled for my Revision from Lap Band to Sleeve on 11/25/2013.  On Sunday, 11/24 I received a call from the surgeon's staff saying the surgery was canceled due to inclement weather in Texas, no biggie as it was rescheduled for 11/26 instead, I received a call from the nurse on Monday night advising me not to eat after 12AM and to buy some special soap (hibiclens) to bathe in that night and in the morning.  I arrived bright and early (6AM) ready to start my journey.  When I went to register, my name was not on the list.  That started the frantic calls from the registry nurse trying to find out what happened.  I called my surgeon's staff person who I woke up out of a dead sleep and she told me she forgot to register me or something like that, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

They reached the surgeon and rescheduled me for 1:30 that afternoon.  I told my husband to go home and come back later.  After he left, the operating nurse told me that they were able to change it for 10:30 AM, I called my husband and told him to eat and come back later.  My doctor came in and told me there was a chance that their maybe some scarring from the lap band and he may not be able to do the sleeve at this time.  I understood but was disappointed as this procedure could of been done long ago had it not been for his insurance gal in the office who did not do her job and I ended up pushing through to get the doctor to do a peer to peer review.  The surgeon let my husband know that she was no longer employed there.

So when I woke up my husband informed me that the Sleeve was not done but that the lap band was removed (which is good).  My Sleeve is now scheduled for 01/9/2013 but that now means I have to pay my deducible which I had met for 2013, another grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Member Services
on 12/2/13 4:52 am - Irvine, CA

There are no words to say how sorry we are this has all happened to you.  Please keep us posted!

Lora R.
on 12/2/13 5:48 am
RNY on 09/12/13

Maybe try talking to the surgeon to see if his office gets his bill submitted quickly, if he would waive what your coverage applies to the deductible on his bill?  Seems the least they can do considering his ex-employee is the reason it got delayed in the first place.  It doesn't hurt to ask.  Good Luck!

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Hislady
on 12/2/13 7:17 am - Vancouver, WA

I think the only sign is that you are dealing with seriously in competant people with this surgeon!!! Stay on track and get your sleeve altho I'd push them for a Dec. date since they messed it up!

TurnThePage
on 12/2/13 9:04 am

That surgeon ought to be moving mountains to see you get surgery done before the end of the year and do not incur another deductible, since his people screwed up in the first place. I'd speak up loudly and firmly and push REALLY HARD to make that happen before year end. He needs to take the loss on this, not you!

When I had a non-WLS surgery canceled in October, I explained to the surgeon that I was in a real dilemma because I will have insurance with a new company after 12/31 and it would be a very expensive postponement.  He understood and got me rescheduled for December, even though it meant bumping someone who had  flexibility to a date in January. 

GigiT
on 12/2/13 12:21 pm - TX

going to do that tomorrow....see if he can do it dec 30th

Trigna
on 12/2/13 9:11 am
RNY on 11/29/13 with

I am just reading this. I'm so, so sorry! I hope they can push up your date. I agree I'd want to see my surgeon bending over backwards!! {{{ HUG }}} I'd be livid.

rosie_mari
on 12/2/13 10:32 am

I had a revision from lap band to gastric bypass, unfortunately like you I had my lap band removed in december and then the gastric bypass in april. I'm suprised they are doing your sleeve so close to having the band removed, my dr said I had to wait at least 2 months to make sure I heal correctly. Also make sure that they don't need to get another prior authorization. I had to wait an extra 2 months because we had to get another authorization done, which they didn't start until at least 2 to 3 weeks after the first surgery, per insurance request.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/3/13 10:22 am

I believe you will be better off letting your stomach rest before you have the sleeve.  there are many of us that had our bands removed and later on had our stomachs sleeved so it is not uncommon.

I wish you the very best.  Before you know it your time will be here.

Happy holidays

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

FAIRY_5
on 12/16/13 4:01 am

Why do you have to have your lap band removed? Rejection? Date it was done?  I had lap band 12/9/13 and have been in a lot of pain ever since.  I even have an allergic reaction that they don't know what to.  Just wondering what your symptems where and why you are having it removed, if you don't mind me asking?

Most Active