Passport Picture Pre-WLS

SandieMc49
on 12/18/13 2:55 am

So, I travel quite a bit and my passport/photo is pre-WLS.  I'm used to going through customs and security and getting double and triple takes.  It's kind of "look at the photo, look my face; look at the photo again, look at my face again".  Then I'm kind of waved on by without a word.

This past Monday I arrived back from a cruise at the Port of Miami and I presented my passport to the customs officer.  He looked at my passport and then looked at me.  And very comfortably and naturally he said "oh, you lost a lot of weight" to which I replied "yes".  He then asked me how much I lost and and told him that I had a gastric bypass and lost 120 pounds.  He said "you look great, you must feel much better".  I told them that I always felt good but that now I was much healthier.  He said "well, you look wonderful, keep up the good work!"

His reaction was very welcomed.  I really appreciated his honesty and how comfortable he was in asking about it.  That's how I've always been; open and honest.  Believe me, it was such a change from the "look-stare, look-stare, look-stare" that I had come to expect and prepared myself for. 

Someone asked me why I just didn't get a new passport.  Why would I do that when my current one is still valid?  That was a really cool experience and kind of a really neat way to end my vacation.  Encouragement from a stranger - now I'll take that any day!

Sandie

Member Services
on 12/18/13 3:46 am - Irvine, CA

Eggface
on 12/18/13 6:53 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Congratulations!!! I had a similar experience at the US/Mexico Border... the Border Agent took a double take at my passport photo and said, "Wow, what did you do?" I said, "I went to Ensenada and had gastric bypass surgery. That's 147 pounds heavier" He said, "You look incredible. You need to get a new passport now." I said, "Thanks. It expires next year I was trying to hold out."

Got it done: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/08/rite- of-passage.html

Yay! Here's to WOW moments like these!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

PetHairMagnet
on 12/18/13 10:41 am
RNY on 05/13/13

The number one reason to get a new passport photo while yours is still valid is that if you look differently enough and are in the 'right' country it can cause you a degree of grief. My son grew a foot and his looks changed dramatically and basically became trapped in a former Soviet country a few years ago because they would not believe it was him in his photo. We had to get our government involved to help him out of there and let me tell you, the FIRST thing we did was get a new passport for him! I look so very different that I was unable to use my driver license at the bank and went and got a new one the very next day. 

Having an ID that matches your current look is pretty important in my book. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active