Horrific leg cramps

ginau
on 12/30/13 4:40 am - mesa, AZ

t have horrible pain in my feet and lower legs when I take vitamins.. if I stop the pain stops after a few days  .. I am at a loss  for how to  get this under control... and  my blood work has been  good .. I am not sure what to do ...

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Cunning_Pam
on 12/30/13 5:14 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Does this happen with all types of vitamins, or just specific ones? Specific brands?

It sounds like a question to discuss with your doctor, to be honest, but someone here may have some ideas which can help. Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

ginau
on 12/30/13 7:24 am - mesa, AZ

Al multi vites ,,, Dr has no clue.. blood tests are in mid range ... but I am thinking I am going to try and  specialize them a bit  and see if I can curb them. think I am going to see a vein Dr and  may pick his brain a bit while I am there..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

poet_kelly
on 12/30/13 7:47 am - OH

So only multivitamins cause leg cramps for you?  Not iron, not calcium citrate, not B12, not D3?  And you've tried at least several different multis and they all do it?

I think what I would try is getting a multi that has most of the vitamins in it but few of the minerals.  Just to help you narrow it down.  I'm thinking something like the Vitacrave or Vitafusion gummies, which I absolutely would NOT recommend as a good multi to use for a long time but they are missing a bunch of nutrients, which is normally a bad thing, but in this case it would help narrow down what is or isn't causing your leg cramps.  If you use one of those for a week or so and have the cramps, you'll know the culprit is a vitamin.  If you use those and don't have cramps, I would suspect the cause is a mineral.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/30/13 5:39 am

test results - How good is good? Are you sure they tested everything?  I would make sure that the results are not only OK - but at least in a mid range..

Time to talk to a doc. The only thing I can think off is when you take the vit/minerals - the bone try to get rebuild - and like with growing pains - it may hurt.  

But best check with your doc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

onelilbirdie
on 12/30/13 12:56 pm

Hi, so, from reading your post these cramps are not during sleep, or night time?  If so, my first reaction would be to have them review your potassium level. Deficient potassium can cause terrible nocturnal cramps!  But, if the issue isn't during the night time, I am clueless. Maybe the lab gave a false reading on this one?  Best to call your Doctor's office and see if they can ferret this out.  The sooner, the better.  This must be miserable for you!  

onebigcelt
on 12/30/13 10:23 pm - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

I had terrible leg cramps for a while and I called the bariatric nurse and nutritionist and I was dehydrated and low on potassium. They recommended to drink skim milk instead of water or Gatorade. More protein and more potassium than sports drinks. This solved the problem. Gas is a side effect but you can use gasX or switch to lactade to help. 

Flower_Child_68
on 12/30/13 10:33 pm
I agree. I increased h2o intake to 90 ounces & protein to 90 grams. combined with 5days exercise to stay balanced. I'm 3yrs post surgery & micronutrients are a constant consideration for me
Mary Gee
on 12/30/13 10:21 pm

Yep, a call to the doctor's office seems to be the best bet - he knows your history and is more knowledgeable of possible causes than most of us here are.

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 2:42 am - WA

Do they happen at night? if so i was thinking restless leg syndrome. If not I was going the route of low b12 and potassium and/or dehydrated.

I will get horrible charlie horses when I don't drink enough water and when I forget my b12.