non-NSAID anti-inflammatory

Gwen M.
on 1/13/14 12:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My surgeon found an ulcer during my endoscopy and told me I couldn't take the NSAID my doctor had prescribed me as an anti-inflammatory for a recent back injury.  The pain reliever and muscle relaxers I'm taking are fine.  

What anti-inflammatories can I take that aren't NSAIDs?  (I called my PCP to get something but her staff must have communicated poorly with her since she prescribed Celebrex which seems to be an NSAID.)  

I'm asking here while I wait for the surgeon's nurse to call me back.  This is sort of time-sensitive since I need to be on the road to head out of town in an hour!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 1/13/14 2:32 am

Hummm...Celebrex IS an NSAID, but unlike most NSAIDs, it's a Cox-II inhibitor, and supposedly easier on the stomach. (Most NSAIDs are Cox-I inhibitors.) I've never really researched Cox-II inhibitors since Celebrex just doesn't give me the pain relief that regular NSAIDs do.

For anti-inflammation, perhaps you need a steroidal anti-inflammatory now?

poet_kelly
on 1/13/14 3:38 am - OH

Steroids?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sfnativewm
on 1/13/14 3:47 am

You can have the dr give it to you in shot form.  NSAIDs can harm your stomach.

Good luck

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Amy R.
on 1/13/14 4:37 am

I believe the damage from NSAID's is systemic - meaning it doesn't matter how you take them.  A shot is as harmful as a tablet.

To the OP, I'm sorry you're having this problem, but you'll need to find another pain med that works for you.  Steroids, like Kelly suggested, or a narcotic, or something called Tramadol (Ultram) which is not a narcotic but can be very helpful.  Unfortunately, NSAIDs are out for us RnY's forever.

amy

poet_kelly
on 1/13/14 4:41 am - OH

NSAIDS pose the same risk  no matter how they are taken.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 8:05 am - OH

Unfortunately, steroids are your only option.  

Since you already have an ulcer, the Celebrex wouldn't even be an option (which some people, who are willing to risk an ulcer, take for short periods if they need an anti-inflammatory).

The other poster is correct that injections of NSAIDs are just as dangerous as pill form NSAIDs, by the way.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/13/14 9:45 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On January 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:

Unfortunately, steroids are your only option.  

Since you already have an ulcer, the Celebrex wouldn't even be an option (which some people, who are willing to risk an ulcer, take for short periods if they need an anti-inflammatory).

The other poster is correct that injections of NSAIDs are just as dangerous as pill form NSAIDs, by the way.

Lora

Lora, did you take anything for inflammation after your knee replacements, or was it just pain meds?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

basilmk
on 1/13/14 9:04 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I have been taking NSAIDS forever for osteoarthritis....my rheumatologist prescribed Cymbalta which I'm taking now by emptying the capsule in applesauce. So far I'm doing well on this...plus it will be available in its generic version next month.

Amy R.
on 1/13/14 4:17 pm

Just an fyi, Cymbalta is an anti-depressant.  While some anti-depressants help with chronic pain, they are not pain medications as such. 

They also take some time to build up in your system.  You would not likely feel any effect for a minimum of two weeks. 

I take it for psych reasons - and just for future reference, I've never had to empty them out. (something to look forward to if you get tired of mixing it with applesauce)

Most Active