Having a Baby Post RNY?

FourMyBoysandMe
on 1/13/14 12:26 pm
RNY on 11/05/13

Hi everyone, I am only two months out (and using a very effective method of birth control at the moment because I do NOT want to get pregnant currently), BUT, my husband and I have talked about having a baby once I am about 18 months to two years post op, and I have been reading things online about how to have a healthy pregnancy after WLS, but I would love to hear from people who have done it. Aside from making sure your vitamin levels were all good, were there other concerns during the pregnancy? Did you take prenatals in addition to your regular vitamin regimen, or in place of it? Did you have any tests done prior to conceiving? Any complications with the pregnancy, or any adverse affects in you or your child? I would love any information you want to share on the issue. I also read somewhere that RNY patients can't tolerate the gestational diabetes soda test - was this an issue for everyone, and if so, what did your OB have you do instead? Thanks in advance!

HW=296

SW=256

CW=177.4

GW=156

(Lost 40 pounds preop) M1: -13  M2: -15.4  M3: -11.4  M4: 11.4  M5:

KevinBacon
on 1/13/14 12:38 pm, edited 1/13/14 12:39 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

I have a friend who just gave birth to her baby girl last week. She was 18 months out when they got pregnant. Baby was 15 inches and 3.5 pounds even though she was full term. :( 

Edit to say that baby and mom are doing okay. Baby is in NICU but showing a lot of growth. I can't wait to see her well enough to come home!

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

MsBatt
on 1/13/14 12:48 pm

There's a post-op pregnancy forum here somewhere.

travlinadddict
on 1/13/14 1:13 pm

I had surgery in 2001 and gave birth to my first child in 2007.  The only thing for me that was really different was that I didn't have to drink the yucky stuff for the glucose test.  They checked my blood sugar at almost every appt but that was it.  Also, I lost ALL of my pg weight in 2 weeks.  The baby is going to take what it needs from you so if you eat a healthy diet, there is no reason why you shouldn't have a perfectly healthy pregnancy.   

Member Services
on 1/14/14 12:25 am - Irvine, CA

Thanks MsBatt you are right we have a forum for members and pregnancy after WLS

Pregnancy after Weight Loss Surgery

Most Active