Going to Mexico for Surgery?

asfgsp
on 1/16/14 10:18 pm - Willow Grove, PA

Is it really safe to go to Mexico for these lower cost surgeries? I see and read a lot of people doing it but I have also heard about a lot of scams abroad or doctors who are not qualified.  Has anyone gone  to Mexico for a procedure?

poet_kelly
on 1/16/14 10:44 pm - OH

Yes, some people have gone to Mexico for a procedure.  I think it is safe as long as you choose your doctor carefully and make sure he is qualified and that the hospital is fully equipped to deal with emergencies.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eggface
on 1/16/14 11:35 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had 3 surgeries in Mexico (RNY and 2 rounds of plastics) I felt safe and the care was better than experiences I have had in the states. There are good and bad Dr's, hospitals though and research is key (there is a Mexico forum here on OH BTW.) It is not for every one... if you have been readmitted post surgeries in the past or have known issues that have made recovery from surgery problematic perhaps being close to home would be a better option. It is also not always the cheaper option depending on how far you need to travel, how long you stay. Never use $ cost as the deciding factor.

Best to you in your research,

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Valerie G.
on 1/17/14 5:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, there are many hacks out there, and being outside of the US, you have no legal recourse if something goes wrong.  There are also, however some wonderful surgeons outside of the US.  Make sure you get oodles of references.  I can offer up this one for you.  He has many, many good references in the DS community, however he does all procedures.  His staff helps with all logistics, so no need for the extra cost for medical tourism.

Dr. Gilberto Ungson
Email: [email protected]
Cell: 044 662 256 2357

Dr. Gilberto Ungson
Paseo Río San Miguel Av #35
Proyecto Río Sonora , Hermosillo, Sonora,
Mexico Zip Code 83280
Tel. +52 (662) 259 0977
Tel. +52 (662) 217 5666

Hospital CIMA Hermosillo:
First Floor, Office #2
Paseo Río San Miguel # 35
Col. Proyecto Río Sonora
Hermosillo, Sonora
C.P. 83280
Mexico
Phone: (662) 259-0965 or (662) 259-0900 ext 1100
Fax: (662) 259-0967

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jimjayhawk
on 1/17/14 7:04 am
RNY on 02/10/13

I know that people do this... and there are countless testimonials regarding how well it worked for them. I have no beef with the quality of care you can find, there are plenty of hacks/scams here in the US as well. 

Yet, I cannot fathom doing it that way. The relationship I established with my surgeon and clinic during the pre-surgery process was instrumental in my confidence and comfort going into the surgery. Their post-surgical support has been tremendous as well. 

Should there be any complications once you return home, who is going to be there to help you out? 

Going anywhere not readily accessible to where one lives ought to be a last-ditch effort IMHO. 

Nevertheless, best of luck in your journey regardless of what you decide to do.

hollykim
on 1/18/14 1:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

may I respectfully remind you that not everyone's insurance policy covers weight Loss surgeries?

having a solid relationship with ones surgeon. Is a nice thing, but for me becoming healthy and maintaining the weight loss that has allowed me to become and stay healthy has been far more valuable than a few visits with a surgeon. 

I have had two Wls,dental implants,and am presently recovering from plastic surgery ,all done very safely and successfully,in Mexico.

perhaps I can recommend that. You google "medical tourism", and perhaps educate yourself a bit more?  Medical tourism is HUGE. People go for heart surgery,knee replacement and every other surgery imaginable. Not only to Mexico,but Brazil,Italy,India and many other countries. 

Most Active