Sense of smell

mustlovepoodles
on 1/19/14 6:47 am
VSG on 12/31/13
I was sleeved 3weeks ago and since then I don't seem to smell things much. I'm not hungry at all. I took my mom to the movies, thinking o was gonna struggle but when we went in I could not smell the popcorn. Mom got het pop orn and even though she was sitting beside me I could hardly smell it. This has happened at home when I'm cooking and a Golden Corral, where my mom likes to go eat. Even in the face of all that buffet food and at least 13 dessert choices,i couldn't smell anything. I'm not really complaining. It does make it easier since I'm on liquids only.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Cunning_Pam
on 1/19/14 10:57 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

This is completely opposite to my experience. I've found that since surgery, most smells are overpowering. If I cook some bacon, I can smell it in the house for a week, despite cleaning and spraying like a fiend...going out is always dicey, sometimes just being in the parking lot of a strip center I can smell all the smells from the restaurants in that center. It's really problematic when the Chinese place and the BBQ place smells collide! I even find my husbeast's breath offensive unless he's just brushed, and that was never an issue before.

My theory is that it doesn't actually have anything to do with the surgery itself, it's just that since my palate has been so limited in the tastes I've been able to have lately it's become hypersensitive to other odors. I don't have any guesses as to why your sense of smell has disappeared, though! At least you consider it a good thing, for the moment at least. Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1119 views