Sleeve with MBI of 34?

asfgsp
on 1/27/14 10:11 am - Willow Grove, PA

Does anyone know of any doctor or hospital that will do one.  Mild sleep apnea and pain and for some reason can't loose weight but my current place won't do it and said to look for another reputable place that will.  Can anyone help?

poet_kelly
on 1/27/14 10:37 am - OH

Did you ask the current place to refer you to someplace else?  You might have trouble finding someone that will do it with a BMI of 34 but you can probably find someone if you are paying cash.  Insurance probably won't cover it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Wendi0209
on 1/27/14 7:16 pm
RNY on 09/13/13

I called all the doctors in my area and was told they don't do surgery on anyone with a BMI under 35 even if you are self pay. I went to Mexico.

TurnThePage
on 1/28/14 12:22 am

for some reason can't loose weight 

I think that clarifies one major reason why doctors and hospitals generally won't do WLS on people with low BMIs.  

To be successful after WLS, one must understand and accept their own role in weight gain and be firmly committed to making difficult lifestyle changes necessary to lose weight and maintain that loss over the long term.  WLS is a tool; unless the tool is used, it is worthless.  Many people see WLS as some magic wand that will spare them the difficulty of accepting responsibility for their thoughts and actions, the hard work of a weight loss program, and solve all their problems in a flash. That's never going to happen. Medical resources are too scarce and the costs too high to waste on those who have mild to moderate health risks in their current condition and little chance of success due to surgery.

I believe the success of WLS is 20% use of the tool and 80% "head work". Much of the success depends on how well and how hard one works at untangling their thoughts, beliefs and attitudes about all things weight-related, and then forms and continually reinforces new beliefs and habits. There is a steep leaning curve.  If one is not ready, willing and able to do that at a lower level of obesity when health risks are lower, what are the odds they will do the necessary work after life-altering surgery?   

Becoming actively engaged in therapy with a professional experienced in weight loss issues would seem to be a good alternative to spending time and effort trying to get surgery that is unlikely to yield satisfactory results without supportive therapy.  Cart before the horse.

TurnThePage
on 1/28/14 12:27 am
Mary Gee
on 1/28/14 1:20 am

Most insurance companies have the same requirements and won't cover the procedure unless you meet the requirements.  Also, some insurance companies have additional criteria such as a supervised diet for six months to a year.  Check "RESOURCES" at the top of your screen and read "About Weight Loss Surgery".  

Also, if you are employed, make sure your employer does not have a WLS Exclusion on their policy -- many employers are now doing this to lower their premiums.

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Most Active