Nervous about surgery

Sleeve_dream
on 2/1/14 8:35 am

I been going thru the wls process for the past 6 months, completing my required clearances in the process. During these last few months, the upcoming surgery hadn't seemed real, almost like I was just going thru the process with no end lol. But today for the first time it hit me that I am projected to have surgery in only a month or so, assuming everything goes well with the insurance company. Coming to the realization of surgery I am extremely nervous... 

AnneGG
on 2/1/14 8:55 am

Well, of course you're nervous- it's a major life change, oh, by the way! I was a basket case before and some after- it's all just part of the process.

Good luck with your surgery- I'm sure you'll do just fine!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Eggface
on 2/1/14 9:21 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery. I hope you will soon feel like I do about having weight loss surgery... best gift I ever gave myself.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

mustlovepoodles
on 2/1/14 9:39 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I'm a nurse and I can tell you, just about everyone is nervous about surgery. It's a pretty big deal. I don't usually get very nervous prior to surgery because I'm very comfortable in that environment, but I am the morning of surgery so i always ask them to give me something IV for anxiety. Once I'm in lala land i don't care.

I did have some anxiety prior to surgery. When I first went to the surgeon, I told him I wanted the sleeve. He thought I'd do better with the DS, since I have diabetes. I went along with it because I figured he knew better than i did. As the weeks passed and I was doing my clearances, I just kept having this unsettled feeling of fear and anxiety.  I asked questions and thought things over, and asked more questions and thought things over. I was all set to have the DS when about 3 weeks before my date, the coordinator called and told me that my insurance wouldn't pay for the DS, but they'd pay for the sleeve. I was stunned at first, but within a day I felt a sense of relief. I really DID want the sleeve all along and I very nearly let someone else make an important decision for me, against my will.  I think I learned a very valuable lesson from that.

I would advise you that if you're having a lot of anxiety about this that you find a therapist and get to talking. They will help you figure out what you really want to do and if you're really ready for all the changes that WLS brings about. If you need a light sedative, talk to your surgeon. I was allowed a Xanax the night before surgery so i could sleep (I had to be at the hospital at 5am. If I hadn't had something for sleep, I wouldn't have slept at all!)

Best of luck to you.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

TurnThePage
on 2/1/14 9:40 am

It's like getting married---a big, lifelong change. You have the jitters before, and then if you're lucky, just before the big day a profound calm comes over you because you know you are doing what is right for you and will make you happy. Then you can't wait to get to the church, errr, hospital and get the show on the road!

Take care and be kind to yourself!  You'll be fine!

blue95
on 2/1/14 9:56 am

I am in the exact same situation.  At my last appointment they told me I only have one more weigh in with the surgeon before they will submit my paperwork to the insurance company.  This is actually a full month ahead of what I had been expecting!  So in about 20 days my paperwork will be on its way to the insurance company and if all goes as planned then I will have know my surgery date in March.  This is all so exciting and nerve racking at the same time!

LisaAnn64
on 2/1/14 8:41 pm - Saginaw, MI

I am going through the same thing.  My surgery is next Thursday and I too am ver nervous.  I thought I was going to have the sleeve, but between my family doctor and my surgeon they feel the RnY surgery is best  for my diabetes.  I'm not responding to my medications and my AIC is back up to 9 so they feel in order to get that under control I should do the other surgery.  So having had my mind set on one thing then having to change it also is creating stress.  Hopefully it will get better.  Best of Luck to you and I hope we get stress free after the process is complete

AnneGG
on 2/2/14 12:24 am

Hey, good luck with your surgery!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

carmennewlife
on 2/1/14 11:47 pm - Canada

i's so normal to being scar imagen how i feel i have my tommoroow but honety i'm not so much scar of the surgery my woories are most and after , and how the recuperation will be having 3 small kids and in all the changes that i will be making lige change , new life , ne eating habits but at the esnd we make this choise to be better so averythig will work for us 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views