Help Finding an Insurer

rogersernest
on 2/3/14 4:13 am

I got approved for WLS but my parents insurance company dropped me on my birthday. I need help finding an insurance company that I can buy an individual policy that will cover my sugery without paying $300 plues. Do anyone have any suggestion that lives in the Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia area that will cover it?

Thanks again

Ernest

TurnThePage
on 2/3/14 4:24 am

Call an independent insurance broker (check the yellow pages) and ask them to find companies that provide WLS coverage.  No cost to you.

Hislady
on 2/3/14 10:27 am - Vancouver, WA

That may be very difficult because even with the new ACA insurance in my state I have to pay over $500 a month and it still doesn't cover weight loss surgery. Previously I paid over $1200 a month and even then it still didn't cover weight loss surgery. It isn't in the insurance companies best interest to cover WLS because people would just get it and then cancel after surgery.

Valerie G.
on 2/3/14 9:21 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not sure of the kids turning 21 rules, but I wonder if you might be eligible for Cobra just long enough to get your surgerY?  It's not going to be cheap, but it would be easier than starting all over again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mary Gee
on 2/3/14 10:36 pm

If you've been approved - I'd say pay the $300/month until you have the surgery.  In the meantime, shop around for something cheaper and change after the surgery.  Also, I've heard that Home Depot and Starbucks offer insurance coverage with WLS included to part-time employees.  Don't know your situation, but maybe that's something you can look into.

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

rogersernest
on 2/4/14 11:05 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I found insurance in Alabama that will cover at a reasonable price. 

Ritabran
on 6/11/14 11:31 am

Hi,

If you don't mind can you give me the name of the company.  I have BCBS SHBP Georgia and they have WLS exclusion in the policy. 

Thanks!

Most Active