Do I have anemia?

Angelique J.
on 2/14/14 10:20 am - Allentown, PA

I know (most of) you aren't doctors and I did ask my doctor, through his nurse over the phone, and he said my iron was fine. I am going to ask my NUT as well, but... Okay, so I am not a doctor either, but I feel like blood work is written so that the layperson can read the results i.e. they show the normal range and a big H or L after your numbers. Here are my iron numbers per my blood work from December: 

% SATURATION 7 L 20-50

IRON 38 L 40-170

TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY 543 H 260-430

Note: Results obtained for the total iron binding capacity (TIBC) are based on a calculation derived from the direct determination of iron and transferrin and a calculated % saturation.

Transferrin 446 H 215-380

Additional Information HL7 Result Status: F

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks all :)

Keepingon
on 2/14/14 1:44 pm

O

KeepingOn!

Linda_S
on 2/16/14 10:11 am - Eugene, OR

Here's a little reference article from Wikipedia.  Blood Tests  Generally, it's best to rely on your doctor's interpretation, but when the lab puts a mark by it, I'd say that's an indication that things are not optimal.  While my iron levels fall within the normal range (no big L next to them), my doctor still has me taking iron and I've been rejected by the blood bank several times because my iron is too low for them.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Mikapooh82
on 2/16/14 10:27 am - Jamaica, NY
DS on 03/18/13

I'm Anemic and my Hematologist pays special attention to my results for Ferritin. Hemoglobin & Hematocrit are also important. It's included in the CBC section of your lab results. Maybe u can post the additional things I mentioned and someone can help u out.

Good luck,

Mika