How did you know you were ready!

Scuppers
on 2/26/14 2:59 pm, edited 2/26/14 8:45 am

Would love to read some stories on how you knew you were ready to make the decision to have WLS?  What got you to that point?

Referral-2/25/14 

mkvand
on 2/26/14 3:45 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I have early on-set arthritis due to a genetic disorder.  My orthopedist told me if I didn't lose a significant amount of weight--and keep it off--I was going to end up in a wheelchair.  My PCP agreed.  Given that I'd already failed to maintain significant weight loss on five previous occasions, I decided to go with WLS.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

SandieMc49
on 2/26/14 10:04 pm

In January 2008 When I got my prescriptions in the mail and my co-pays had sky-rocketed - I said "that's enough of this #&%*, the only reason I'm on these meds are because I am fat!" 

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/14 3:35 am

I knew I was ready when I lifted a 46 pound bag of dog food and it dawned on me that I am carrying 2 of these on my body!  I could barely get it in the cart, no wonder my knees and ankles and back hurt ALL of the time.  Then to top it off my son graduated from Paramedic school and the fire academy, at his badge ceremony (a big deal) I did not want my pic with him.  Then I saw the pics and cried.  I was supposed to celebrating his accomplishments, instead I was feeling ashamed of how I looked and wondering if he was embarrassed.  NEVER AGAIN ... surgery is Monday and I never want to feel that shame again.  I am almost 50 and I want the next chapter of my life to be healthy and centered.

Scuppers
on 2/27/14 8:19 am

My biggest driver is my kids.  I want to be less ashamed of myself and more active with them.  I want them to be proud of me. They already say things like "mom can't do that". They aren't wrong either.  I'm tired of not being able to breath and move.  It's time.  

Referral-2/25/14 

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/14 4:23 am
Scuppers
on 3/13/14 1:25 pm

Thanks. :)

Referral-2/25/14 

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/14 4:41 am

I was going to see my therapist and I was telling her how I felt insecure with my husband and my weight.When I had to buy a 5x in mens gear for sailing.Well out of her mouth comes so what are you going to do about it?I saw pictures of myself and that pushed me over the edge.

Gwen M.
on 2/27/14 9:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's been in the back of my mind for a while, but the final straw was a weekend at my parents' house.  There's a full length mirror on the wall next to my bed and seeing myself naked in that mirror 6 months ago was an eye-opener.  That and finding their kitchen table chairs uncomfortable due to the arms and the width of my butt.  That was my final straw.  I no longer want to be the size that I am.  

Two weeks to go!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

bapzz34
on 2/27/14 9:15 am
RNY on 05/12/14

I had been thinking about wls for a very long time. I got to my point of no return after my wedding last August. I had a beautiful wedding but my weight cost me a lot of money. I ordered my wedding gown 6 months before my wedding, and never wore it. A week before the wedding when I tried it on it would not fit and could not be expanded because of the type of material it had. I ended up going to David's Bridal and paying almost a thousand for a new dress in the last minute. There went our honeymoon.. My wedding was still a dream come true but I promised myself that I would lose the weight once and for all and by my 1 year anniversary, I plan to make that a reality.

Bapzz34**