Wls after age 70

Tigboa12
on 2/28/14 11:43 pm

Hi,

new to forum and wondering if any of you have had surgery after age 79.  My surgeon does not think this should be a problem, but still wondering about your experiences and results since I know may be some differences in hospital stay, complications, etc.  

phred
on 3/1/14 12:31 am - CO

Don't know if you meant 70 or 79, but I got my sleeve at 71 1/2, and it was a piece of cake.  This was in 2008.  At that time surgeons usually limited patients to 65 and younger.

My HMO didn't have that limitation, so I got the sleeve, and have been very happy with the results.

I was in the hospital for 36 hours, the surgery, itself, only took 45 minutes.

HTH, Phred

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

White Dove
on 3/1/14 9:53 pm - Warren, OH

If you are tired of dealing with overweight, why not get the surgery.  I found that the pre-surgical tests told me that other than the weight I was in good health.  They will most likely test you for heart conditions, sleep apnea, mental disorders, scope your stomach, and do complete blood work first. 

They will not proceed unless they believe you are healthy enough for the surgery and mentally able to deal with the post-surgical lifestyle.

People are living longer lives and want those lives to be healthier.  My sister is in charge of dietary at a nursing facility.  She tells me that her patients who had weight loss surgery are more active and demand better food choices than patients *****mained overweight.

AnneGG
on 3/1/14 10:52 pm

I was 59 when I had my surgery, and did more for health reasons than anything else. My health is now so much better.

I read one study that said longevity from weight loss surgery is improved because of lessening cardiac problems, existing or potential.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Tigboa12
on 3/7/14 10:41 pm

Thanks for reassurance.  And yes, I did mean 70 and not 79 - altho surgeon actually did operate on a 79 year old.

Most Active