Hot tubs?

sjluvsu44
on 3/1/14 5:48 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 03/06/14

I know there are time restraints as to when you can go in hot tubs after surgery? What about before? I'm having surgery Tuesday and my boyfriend wants to take me to a hot tub place tomorrow night to calm some of the nerves. Has anyone heard of any objections to this idea?

thanks 

Sj

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/1/14 9:29 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I was not told it was a concern, but if you are on your preop liquid diet you might be extra careful when you are in there.  You might get lightheaded where before you wouldn't have.  

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

White Dove
on 3/1/14 9:37 pm - Warren, OH

Google the risks of public hot tubs and then see if you want to take those risks right before surgery.

I would prefer a warm bath in my own tub.

sanjali23
on 3/1/14 10:17 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

I had to shower with Hibiclens (a stronger anti-bacterial soap than dial) the night before and the morning of surgery ensuring that I scrub the tummy area well in preparation for surgery. They wanted to make sure that I got anything germy off of me that I couldn't see with the naked eye. Since this is such a huge surgery I would suggest that you give yourself every advantage for an uneventful surgery and not do the public hot tub...or any hot tub the night before for that matter. I even washed my night gown separately that I would be wearing and I am happy to say my surgery was a breeze and I am feeling like a million bucks.

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/1/14 10:21 pm - OH

I wouldn't take the risk, especially at a public place since hot tubs are a notorious breeding ground for germs.  (They have public hot tubs?!?)   I second the idea of a nice, hot bath in your own tub.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 11:34 pm

I totally agree with what has been said above.I would not open up my pores to any type of infection.I wouldn't even get a pedicure before my surgery.I have had previous surgeries where I was not allowed to shower the day of only the night before and had to use a anti-bacterial soap.I wouldn't risk any type of infection.Staph infections can be a killer.

DeDication
on 3/2/14 9:33 am

That is news to me! I was not told about prohibited use, at all. I would agree with most everyone who advised you not to use it public or not just because you want to be a germ free as possible.

BEST OF LUCK, again I can't say it enough! :-)

Most Active