Anyone discover heart issue as a result of chest xray?

nibanike
on 2/28/14 11:22 am
RNY on 02/25/14

I've had a tough week.  After going through a Blue Cross denial last week, followed by approval on appeal (of course, the day after the initially-scheduled surgery), the docs discovered that the chest x-ray was missing from my file, even though it had been done through their clinic system. Well, Wed., they let me know that the would find a surgery time in the next two weeks. Yesterday, I got a "bad news" call.  The bariatrician had tracked down the x-ray results, and wanted me to get in for a CT angiogram today (which wasn't bad at all, and I was in and out in less than an hour).  Well, at 4, she called and said she had the results from the radiologist, and that I need to get into a vascular surgeon ASAP, and that I have a descending aortic aneurysm that is 7.8cm (about 3"), and that I need to address that, before they would ever consider bariatric surgery.  I am just beside myself.  I managed to get the referral within a few minutes, but of course, they're closed until Monday, so I can't even make an appointment.

Also, I have a terrible habit of reading too many medical things online, and some say that even if it ends up that I need something as simple as a stent, that most docs want the artery to heal around the stent for up to a year before they will consider the bariatric surgery.  I'm on COBRA insurance, and paying out of pocket at $700/mo right now, and don't know how long I can hang on to it. It covers bariatric surgery, and I've discovered that I can't find a single plan under the Affordable Care Act that covers the surgery, so I'm in a  real Catch-22.  I know my health is #1, but this is soooo frustrating!

Anyone ever dealt with an aortic aneurysm???

Member Services
on 3/1/14 12:35 am - Irvine, CA

We are so sorry to hear all you are going through.  Please keep us updated and we will be sending good wishes your way!

Regards,

Member Services

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1085 views