Heartburn after Sleeve

Kathyc618
on 3/1/14 2:54 am

I'm planning to to have the sleeve surgery mid April. I do get heartburn right now and take Tums and Prilosec to slop the heart burn. I have heard heartburn gets worse after surgery. Has anyone experience this and does is get worse post op? 

Member Services
on 3/1/14 9:07 am - Irvine, CA

Hi,

If you have not done so be sure and post on Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Tracy D.
on 3/1/14 10:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It will most likely get worse so be prepared!  Make sure your doc prescribes a good PPI. Tums and Prilosec were worthless against what I experienced :-(

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

southernlady5464
on 3/2/14 4:02 am

It doesn't always get worse but it could be the PPI isn't right for you.

Prilosec (and it's generic) does NOTHING for me but Prevacid and Protonix (both are also generics) DID work for me.

The Tums is like putting a bandaid on an amputation...it just is not gonna help. Now as an adjunct to a PPI, it might help.

Mine actually got better after the first few months but never truly went away. I still take prevacid generic.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jubilee333
on 3/1/14 10:51 am

I actually am a year out and just the other day I started suffering with severe heartburn. I am hoping this is something that is going to pass since I have never suffered with it before surgery. I would ask your dr bc that is a very good question. Good luck to you

MsBatt
on 3/2/14 1:44 am

I'm 10+ years post-op from the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach. Pre-op, I had wretched reflux---so bad that most nights I slept sitting up. My DS completely cured it.

BUT---back then, Sleeves were generally made larger than they are today, especially stand-alone Sleeves. You should discuss this with your surgeon, and maybe think about going with the full DS with a larger Sleeve. (Having the intestinal portion and lifetime malabsorption of a significant per centage of calories balances out the larger Sleeve.)

Kate -True Brit
on 3/2/14 2:41 am - UK

I am not sleeved myself but have always read that many surgeons consider heartburn and reflux to be contraindications to VSG. It is a known side effect of sleeves. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Pelz
on 3/2/14 3:53 am

I had awful heartburn off and on before I was sleeved. It didn't bother me the week after surgery but it started again full force these last two days even with Zantac. I'm going to try tums added to the zantac and see of it works. I am hoping that it gets better as I lose weight. 

AnneGG
on 3/2/14 4:39 am

The sleeve does contribute to GERD and heartburn, and can make it worse.

Because of this, even though I wanted to be able to take NSAIDs and for that reason wanted the sleeve, I ended up choosing RNY because of my GERD. It has been handled since my surgery, whi*****luded a hiatal hernia repair. I'm also on PPIs for life because of Barrett's esophagus which is irreversible but thankfully hasn't gotten any worse.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

JenniPenny
on 3/2/14 5:25 am - MN

I originally was referred to my surgeon for RNY because of acid reflux. My doc said if I had the rnY procedure I wouldn't get heartburn anymore. I was eroding my esophagus and losing stomach

lining from the acid reflux. I was on a couple different meds but quit taking them the day of surgery. At 13 yrs post op I don't have any more heartburn and haven't since the day before surgery.

Make sure your type of surgery will get rid of acid reflux either permanently or will reduce it enough so it's not a problem for you. check with sleeve patients. I don't know if they get rid of

heartburn with their type of surgery. I know I love not having heartburn after every meal and when I'm empty. It's nice not to have to worry about health concerns related to the acid erosion.

Check with your doc and other post ops.

jen 12+ yrs post op RNY

Most Active