Surgeons who Help to Get patient Qualified - Lab Band

KurlyQ
on 3/1/14 8:58 pm

My 22 year old daughter has struggled with her weight for years.  She is very tall, has Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease, and of course it at a higher risk of diabetes.  She is tall about 5"10 but weights about 230, so she is about 33 BMI.  We know she does not qualify go GBS, however, does anyone know of a physician *****ally works with the patients to get them qualified with their insurance. We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  I see her going down hill.  She has a hard time finding clothing because she is tall and now in about a size 22.  Can anyone give me some info or recommendations.  We live in Dutchess County, NY but of course would go to Ulster, or any other location up and around Westchester, Putnam, etc.  Thank you

poet_kelly
on 3/1/14 11:27 pm - OH

Most insurance plans won't cover any type of WLS unless your BMI is at least 35.  Check with your daughter's insurance company (or have her check with them, because it's important for her to take responsibility for her own health) to see what their criteria are.

I would reconsider the lap band, though.  It has a very high rate of complications, which is why some surgeons and hospitals, including the Mayo Clinic, no longer perform that surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 3/2/14 1:10 am - Warren, OH

Lapbands were not very successful and caused a lot of damage in many patients.  Many have revised to gastric sleeves. At your daughter's BMI an insurance company is highly unlikely to pay for weight loss surgery.  I would suggest looking into self-pay options in Mexico. 

Many people on this board have posted glowing reviews of Dr Guillermo Alverez. 

Although surgery is not magic and your daughter will still have to follow an eating and exercise plan, it is an excellent tool.

Also research self pay options with hospitals in the US.  Insurance companies typically pay the hospital and surgeon about 1/3 of what is charged.  The hospital and surgeon often will give self pay a discount of about what 1/3 of what insurance will bill.

For the cost of a used truck, your daughter could have a tool that will make her life much better.

MsBatt
on 3/2/14 1:24 am

A LapBand is the form of WLS with the lowest success rate and the highest complication rate. The manufacturer now admits that the Band's lifespan is only about ten years, so if she chooses to get one, she needs to start saving NOW for the inevitable second surgery to remove it. Many, many insurance companies are moving to a 'one per lifetime' clause for WLS, whether the first one was covered by insurance or not, so she needs to make this one count.

She needs to research the other three options---VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Given her age and low BMI, I strongly suggest the Sleeve. It's a restriction-only procedure like the Band, but one that actually works.

Hislady
on 3/2/14 2:23 am - Vancouver, WA

Please do not subject your daughter to a lap band it is the worst for weight loss and causes so much damage to the esophagus that for many it is permanent. I had to have mine removed a couple of weeks ago because I could barely swallow and my band was empty for over 2 years! Please truly research the different weight loss surgeries and find one that is a more effective one. Also run away from plication some surgeons are pushing it like they pushed the band years ago and it is even worse than the band!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1108 views