Lack of protein (problems)

nicoledurepos
on 3/3/14 6:40 am - Canada

I had the LAP BAND put in in december of 2011.  weight loss:  25 lbs maintained.  I still have to lose about 100 lbs. 

I was wondering if anyone has issues with lack of protein issues.  

I am noticing that I am getting cramps in weird places in my muscles and my nails are very brittle.  I have a feeling that it has to do with the lack of protein in my diet.  

Does anyone else have this problem?  

I have a very hard time keeping lean meats down, so I have regretably stayed away from them for the past few years since I had my surgery, but am now feeling the effects.   

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

poet_kelly
on 3/3/14 7:41 am - OH

If you have trouble keeping lean meat down, then eat other foods high in protein.  I don't eat any meat at all, haven't in more than 25 years, but I typically get 80 t0 90 grams of protein a day.

Do you have trouble keeping down eggs?  Cheese?  Yogurt?  Tofu?  Beans?  Protein shakes?  Nuts?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eggface
on 3/3/14 9:53 am - Sunny Southern, CA

You have to fuel the furnace if you want to burn cals.

Be sure you are getting your labs done and visiting your Dr regularly. Deficiencies are no joke and can cause major issues.

Here's a few ideas: Breakfast ideas: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/07/7-pro tein-packed-grab-and-go-breakfast.html 10 favs protein sources: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/01/10-fa vorite-protein-sources.html  Hope these give you a few ideas.

All the best,

Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Kate -True Brit
on 3/4/14 5:10 am, edited 3/4/14 5:10 am - UK

If you can't eat meat, it sounds as if your band is too tight. Things like steak are hard for many but you should be able to eat things like moist chicken and fish. Beans,soya, lentils are all high protein. Unless you have problems with your band, you should be able to eat a balanced diet.  Try cheese, milk, yoghurt, eggs.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 3/7/14 10:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You could be suffering from more malnutrition other than protein.  You need to get a nutritional workup with your doc and see what you can do about it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active