1.5 years post op...struggling

rescueninja
on 3/3/14 10:33 am

Hello,

I am new to this forum! I had my VSG in August 2012 and I've lost about 90lbs, then the past 6-8 months things slowed WAY down. At first, I was ok with this because I waned my skin to have time to catch up. Now, however, I am feeling depressed and gross! I feel like I teeter between the same 3-5lbs weekly. My restriction doesn't feel like it's there, but I know it is... I can feel the misery I feel when I eat something of large volume and I can feel it sitting in my throat (basically****ep telling myself I want to get back at it and lose the last 40lbs, but for some reason I cannot convince myself to do it. Does anyone have some good advice on how to stick with a low calorie diet plan? I keep telling myself I need to get back to basics, but that's easier said than done! Anyone have some good protein shake ideas? I am a RN so I need a meal plan that keeps up my energy throughout a 12 hour shift, but doesn't keep me in this miserable place. My scale teeters between 3-5lbs loss and gain every week... so I'm not truly gaining or losing, however my clothes make me feel like I've gained 10lbs. I rely more on how my clothes feel rather than what the scale says, so I'm freaking out! Any tips would be appreciated!!!

poet_kelly
on 3/3/14 4:57 pm - OH

The best way for me to stick to my plan is to keep my kitchen stocked with yummy foods that are on my plan and to keep the foods that are not on my plan out of my house.

On a 12 hour shift, I would suggest eating a small meal/snack every three hours or so if you can.  I know you're probably very busy and don't get long breaks but a small meal wouldn't take that long to eat.  I would avoid stuff high in starchy carbs and definitely avoid stuff high in sugar because that tends to give you a spike of energy, followed by a crash.  Something like a handful of nuts or a hard boiled egg or half an apple with almond butter would work better.

My favorite protein shake is  Syntrax Nectar cappuccino protein powder.  I like it best in milk, but soy milk or almond milk also works for me.  I like to add a little bit of instant decaf coffee crystals to kick up the coffee flavor.  It mixes well in a shaker cup, which is something I like.  Don't have to mess with a blender.

Check out bariatricfoodie.com for a bunch of yummy protein shake ideas.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sandy M.
on 3/3/14 9:11 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I was where you were for 3 months this winter.  My eating habits slipped; I was eating way more junk and not logging my food.  My once a week peanut butter cup "treat" became once a day.   

I finally realized that I have trigger foods; the peanut butter cups are one, and chips are another.  One bite and I wanted to binge on them.

I had to go back to basics.  First the detox from carbs, which was two days of pacing the floor wanting to jump in the car and go get something sweet.  After a couple of days I felt more in control.  I went back to logging my food in MyFitnessPal religiously.  And in your case, since you're overeating, might I recommend that you weigh and/or measure your food carefully?  Overeating your sleeve is not a good idea!

And slow down - if you're feeling the food sitting in your throat, you're probably not just overeating, but eating too fast.  Be mindful after every bite and ask yourself, "am I satisfied?".  

I gave up on the powder protein drinks and now drink Premier Protein ready to drink exclusively, solely for the convenience (and they taste pretty good).  But at your stage, I wouldn't rely on protein drinks so much, but rather, good lean solid protein.  For me, that sticks with me much longer than the drinks.

The closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight loss will be, so get into that mindset now.  If you stick to your plan, it'll happen, just much slower than before.

Finally, how are you doing on the water intake?  Nothing will slow you down more than being dehydrated!  Aim for 10-15 glasses of water if you can.

You can do this - purge your house of the junk and detox for a couple of days.  It really does get easier after that!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

AnneGG
on 3/3/14 10:18 pm, edited 3/3/14 10:19 pm

Sounds like you are hitting maintenance, which is a drag after the easy loss of the honeymoon period. The rubber hits the road in terms of personal responsibility for eating and exercise being the key things with weight loss and maintenance. I didn't like that news at all, no, not at all, thank you anyway.

I had to experiment for awhile to find the routines that worked for me, but it was a period of high anxiety because I was (and still am) so scared of regain. I'm grateful to have hit goal while I was still in the honeymoon period.

I have pretty much figured out what works for me- taking a one day at a time approach, sticking with the basics like protein first and not drinking with meals, several small meals that I eyeball measure, no white carbs or sugar and not having them in my universe if I can help it, daily weights to give feedback on what I need to do for the day, things like that. I don't count calories other than using My Fitness Pal when I need to for a couple of days. The bummer for me is that how I want to eat is 180° from how I need to eat, but that has gotten easier over time as long as I stick to plan.

I also- and this is the hardest for me because I resist it so much- make sure I have daily exercise no matter what. The payoff for me is terrific, though, in terms of being much healthier and stronger and feeling better about myself.

But I think where you are is entirely normal and predictable. You'll have to figure out what works for you, considering we are all different.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Mary Gee
on 3/4/14 12:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

All excellent responses above.  

For meal ideas, have you checked out theworldaccordingtoeggface.com?  She has great recipes -- eggbites that are easy to pack for any meal, bento box ideas, protein shakes, etc.  She's got a lot of recipes that are easy to make and freeze well, so you would always have something good to reach for.  There are, of course, other WLS websites that have recipes too.

I think it's important to plan ahead so you have what you need when you need it.  You already know you have to get back to the basics. No one can do it but you.  You did an excellent job losing 90 pounds - you fought the battle to get there.  You know you can do this - get into the kitchen and get cooking something healthy.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

rescueninja
on 3/4/14 6:48 am

Thank you for the replies!! Lots of good advice. I know what I need to do, but I just needed some reassurance and support!

A. Kondrlik
on 3/4/14 7:20 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I am sort of in the same place you are except I have actually gotten to goal a couple months ago, but things are getting so much harder. I have to put on my big girl pants and make up my mind that no I cannot eat like I want to, I have to eat in a way to maintain my loss.  I started cheating a bit and nothing happened for a while, I actually lost a couple pounds.  then all the sudden last week I took a tumble on the ice and haven't been able to exercise. My weight went up 4 lbs.  Still under goal but a real reality check.  The thought of regain terrifies me.  I am taking some positive steps like totally eliminating my trigger foods and defeating that horrible pre-bed binge I was slipping back into. (What I did was replace m evening snack with a protein shake) Eliminating the triggers has really helped that head hunger.  Hang in there you can do it!! 

Anne 

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

ACBrequelle
on 3/4/14 11:26 am

I so needed to see this.  I'm in the IDENTICAL situation you are in.....same timeframe and all.  I'm so mad at myself which depresses me...which makes me eat.  Ugh!  I hope you get the jumpstart you need!  (And me too!!)  

WheatThin44
on 3/18/14 2:36 am

Hello I am new to the Site,

I have gained weight as well.  I am working on my doctorate degree and have been out of work for six months.  I have started back weighing myself and paying close attention to what I am eating.  I have also started to exercise more and longer.  I think one of the errors I have made is not getting in enough protein and water.  How much protein should we have daily.  I am almost three years out.  I definitely need to get back on track.  Please offer any other suggestions.  Thanks.

WheatThin

Most Active