Post poned

sjluvsu44
on 3/4/14 3:13 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 03/06/14

SO my surgery this morning had to be postponed because the person ahead of me had too many complications with their surgery. That and my surgeon started not feeling well. 

At first I was devastated. I had been in the hospital with an IV in my hand freaking out between nervous and excitement, waiting for this to happen. Then I came to my senses. Why would I want to force someone who is tired from a complicated procedure before me who isn't feeling well, doing the surgery that is going to help me change my life.

With that being said we were able to reschedule for his first spot Thursday morning. Leaving the hospital I was still pretty upset, especially since I  couldn't even talk to my surgeon about it. Later that night I knew I had made the right choice with my surgeon choice. 

Not only did he pay for my food for the rest of today and tomorrow, but he personally called my cell phone and left me a message apologizing and explaining what happened. Also, since I was so willing to work with them to reschedule, he wanted me to be his first patient Thursday morning so nothing else could go wrong. 

Now that I am completely calm, I am extremely grateful that the hospital team and surgical team (even though I didn't see it at the time) really wanted what was best for me and I couldn't be happier with my choice of not only surgeon and surgery, but the whole team. 

added bonus *** I now know exactly where to go to sign in, register, and how stubborn my veins are for the IV. I'm trying my best to stay positive and relaxed. By the end of this week I will be post-op, I might have hit a speed bump, but I didn't hit a dead end. 

SandieMc49
on 3/4/14 8:24 pm

You are one smart cookie!  Remember to stay hydrated - that should help make the IV a little easier on ya!  Sweet dreams!

lonnierjones
on 3/4/14 8:35 pm

Your surgeon's a blessing!

Diabetes Diet Journal Blog

poet_kelly
on 3/4/14 8:36 pm - OH

That would be frustrating, but... how much better than he said he was tired and not feeling well, instead of just operating anyway?  You now know he wants to do his best for you and isn't going to take any avoidable risks.  You've got a really good surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DeDication
on 3/4/14 9:49 pm

Awe i am glad your getting it done tomorrow! Im sure going through all thise emotions was tough. At least you understand and are prepared yet again! I wij you the best! I was waiting to hear something from you!

PetHairMagnet
on 3/4/14 10:35 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Sorry you were sent home, but glad you realized it was for the best!

Wishing you a speedy 'time flight' to Thursday morning! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

marymo362
on 3/4/14 10:56 pm
RNY on 03/18/14

Youhave the right attitude! Winner!~

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

Linda_S
on 3/5/14 2:58 am - Eugene, OR

Sounds like your surgeon is a great guy.  And you are a very level-headed person to not totally lose it over this.  Best wishes for success tomorrow morning!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

SkinnyBonz38
on 3/5/14 4:12 am

Hi how is the person doing who had the many complications? Do you know?

sjluvsu44
on 3/5/14 5:39 am - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 03/06/14

I don't know how that person is. All I know is I was scheduled to start at 11:20am and my surgeon wasn't able to call me til around 8pm. When we left around 4 he was still in the OR with the patient and his doctor that he had talk to us about everything said it was going to be at least another 2 hours.

Most Active